Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Max. Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxk419, Jun 14, 2003.

1. mxk419

mxk419 Registered Member

What's the maximum lift I can put on my 90 Blazer without changing/lengthening the driveshafts? If I were to add an 8" lift, how much would it cost to lengthen the shafts? thanks

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" skyjacker and no driveshaft mods. I've seen a 6" with no mods but he was right at the edge of the driveshaft travel. I would think 8" would definitely need some more length. Around here I think you can get your shafts lengthened for $50-75 per shaft.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In your quest for giant tires, don't forget the drivetrain. If you're gonna run really huge tires, then you'll need to seriously consider upgrading to stronger axles than the stock 10-bolt, 1/2-ton models. Plus, if you actually want to have a truck that you can drive, you'll need to swap out the axle gears for something that matches the tires. Otherwise you'll have a slug that is not much fun to drive. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

price for lengthening driveshafts is peanuts compared to what it will cost for high angle cv's. i have 6 inches on mine and the stock ones work but there is not much spline left. the real prob is my front cv doesnt angle enough to turn the front axle. i ended up blowing it out. you will definetly need longer and high angle driveshafts for 6 or above inches of lift. im just saving up for mine still.

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

hell, i only did a 2 1/2" lift and had to get my rear driveshaft redone. i went ahead and got a CV shaft so i don't have to later when i do a 6" lift. (front springs, and ORD shackle flip in rear) i'll probably have to get it lengthened though.

6. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A grinder does wonders for clearancing that front CV.Grind away whatever hits.It may not be right but it will work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Crush is absolutely right. Consider saving your money on purchasing a high angle CV for the front, just grind! I had a 9" suspension lift and grinding allowed the CV to move freely, but I still had to have it lengthened. There's a lot of work to be done when you get up past 6" of lift, but there's definately nothing cooler than a Blazer with a 12" lift, 39.5" Boggers, and 3/4 ton axles.