Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Max/Min PSI when using compressed air while changing valve seals.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When changing valve seals and using compressed air to hold the valves closed, is there a min and max pressure to adhere to? I know too little pressure and the valve will drop in the cylinder, but what is the min pressure, and is there too much pressure (i.e. causing severe blowby at the rings)?

Thanks.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hummm..good question.

When I did mine, I just got a plug adaptor and connected it to my compressor. I had mine at around 100-120psi. no problem. Depending on how bad your rings are, most cylinders should be infe at 120psi. You only need enough to hold the valve firmly in place so you cant push the stem down releasing the pressure.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

FWIW when I did the seals on my vette (twice now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) was to use the "rope trick." Instead of compressed air I would stuff a short length of nylon rope through the plug hole, then bar the engine 'til the piston came up to TDC (or pretty close). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif