Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Max rear driveshaft angle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Aug 8, 2001.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

What problems should I expect from running my rear driveshaft (non-cv style) at 17 degrees? Short U-joint life? I thought that I read somewhere that the maximum angle for this type of shaft should be at 15 degrees.

I have the pinion and transfer case output angles equal at 6 degrees. This is a 350, th350, np205, 4" spring with 1" ORD add a leafs in a 78 Blazer.

Would it be better to convert to a CV-style shaft?

DJ
    78 K5

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Im confussed? You have the angles at 6 degrees even but where is the 17 coming from?
    If you working angle at the T-case is 6 and the working angle at the pinion are the same at 6 degree each you are good to go.

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think he means the pinion and transfer case are 6 degrees off from level but due to the height difference between the two the driveshaft is at 17 degrees (correct me if I'm wrong). From a level standpoint the drive shaft is running at 11 degrees (17-6) relative to the yokes. The optimum angle is about 3 degrees, so you will experience shortened u-joint life. I was running about 8 degrees before the conversion and my u-joints lasted quite a while.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I use a digital angle meter myself...i measure the xfer angle against the driveshaft and the diff housing against the driveshaft...max for any single u-joint ( non-cv) is a 3 degree working angle..but i try to get mine around 2 degree's. When i swapped from a 4 to a 6 inch lift i had to lower the tcase a bit more to get the angles just right...and the vibration went away also. We actually have a couple different programms at work from spicer and rockwell so we can measure the angles on a semi and input the info and it will tell us where and how much shim to use.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!