Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

max. shim allowed for rear ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Jan 23, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

what is the maximum amount of shim allowed. the driveshaft guy told me that i should shim my axle 10 more degrees ( it has a 4 degree now ). that would be total of 14 degrees of shim. he said that after i do that i need to fill the diff to ensure oil going to all areas of the diff. is this safe ? i have the CV 1350 driveshaft conversion.thanks

baja surf nazi

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well, people do it a lot with spring-over lifts and such. It seems to me that everything is pretty much symmetrical about the axle shaft axis except for the pinion bearings. I would say that as long as your pinion bearings are staying wet, it should work equally well at all angles. Anyone care to disagree?

So where do you buy this 10 (or 14) degree shim? I have never been able to find anything besides 2, 3 1/2 and 4 degrees and I don't like the idea of stacking them. I have considered fabricating them. Has anyone else found larger shims with the proper 2 1/2" width?

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

i am going to call national spring and see if they can make me some.

baja surf nazi

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think you will be limited by the head length of the center bolt on the springs, the thicker the shim the less the center bolt can go through the centering hole on the perch. That is probably why they don't sell shims any thicker than 4 degrees.
    I would cut the perches and turn the axle then re-weld. As for differential lubrication, most use the ring gear to sling the oil up to the pinion gear so I don't think that would be an issue. As long as the oil level is enough to get some down the tubes to your axle bearings you should be OK.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

But you can get around the center bolt head length problem by using a longer allen-head bolt and then using the appropriate washers or spacers (depending on your shim design) to fill the length through the shim(s). The stock bolt is only good to about a 2 degree in the back, anyway.

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>

6. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

i did not realize that it would be this much of a problem for a 6 inch lift. I am dropping the transfer case after work and will see how much that improves the vibrations. I still want it right though.

baja surf nazi

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Big Blue, I just did a 6'' lift and have the same issues. I am just gonna bite the bullet and have the perches cut off and welded at the right angle for the cv shaft. I am also swapping to a 205 case. Where did you get your shaft if you don't mind me asking? I want the 1350 cv also...I just wanna be done with this damn problem and not have to worry about it anymore...

8. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

i live in san diego. East County Drive Shaft Specs, 1467 1/2 N Magnolia Ave, El Cajon, CA, (619) 447-3336.
    they did a bitch'n job too - i will post pictures today of the job they did. Also where would i go to get the perches cut and welded ? peace

baja surf nazi