Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MAX tire size 10 bolt and 4"lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by expeditiontruck, Apr 11, 2004.

1. expeditiontruck

expeditiontruck Newbie

MAX tire size 10 bolt and 4\"lift

Max tire size on a K5 with 4"lift and 10 bolts f/r with truetracks, who's NOT rockcrawling, see highway and snow only.. anyone any idea. They drive with 38" and 44" on toyotas on Iceland without to much problem, but what about a K5 i Norway????

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: MAX tire size 10 bolt and 4\"lift

33's

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

33's or 35's would be just fine.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I had the same setup... and are you speaking operating it reliably??? in a snowfrift up to your butt and freezing?
    31's..... anything bigger and it might look cool but you will eventually break them at the worst possible time... larger tires are also UNSAFE...overload axles and bearings even with moderate wheeling and daily driving ... Gm was smart here and never offered any larger tire size because they also knew these were weak in our heavier trucks...yes there are many rigs around with them but they are waiting for breakage and need to convert or are too poor/cheap to convert.... dont waste money on ten bolts... 14b/60... thats the way to go.......
    cam

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

49's after that you probably wont have to much fender left and be forced to lift higher... He never said anything about breaking /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    truthfully I would stay 33" mabe 35" but they will rub under flex and even with any of those you can still have breakage

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hope you don't have anything bigger than 265x75r16 on your 14FF/D60. You know, because that's the biggest GM ever put on them. [​IMG]

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had 33's to start off with on mine. Now I am up to 35's with no fender trimming. Rubs only when I pull in my driveway and then it is only in one spot, well used to, got ahold of a saw this weekend and won't have ANY problems from now on.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't go past 35s. You'll have to cut to fit 35s.

I'd go 35s but I'm still too chicken to cut my fenders.

I've seen bigger... with people driving hard on their ten bolts... and they didn't break. I can't remember if this guy had 38s or 40s but he'd get those tires spinning so fast I was nervous about the rear tire coming off with the shaft and running me over. Never did see it break.

9. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I know a guy with a K5 who is running 38's on a 12 bolt and D44, stock axle shafts as far as I know too. front is welded and rear has a detroit. He didn't break any axle shafts this past weekend but did break the plug welds on the rear end and twisted it. Ended up destroying an entire spring pack also. So if you want to do some fender trimming then you should be ok with 35s or 36s.

Me personally am not going to run a 14 bolt in mine because they weigh a crap-load and are way too big for me, I can handle 35's or 36s with my 12/10 bolt with minimal problems as long as I keep off the gas and don't go crazy like some toyota guys I saw this weekend, I think they WANTED to break something. And one blew the sidewall out of his new trxus tire too.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 35s worked great with a 10 bolt front. 38.5s broke it the first trip out.

So far one very hard trip on the D60/14 bolt combo and no issues. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope you don't have anything bigger than 265x75r16 on your 14FF/D60. You know, because that's the biggest GM ever put on them. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was thinken the same thing

12. 85scottsdale

Yep, and 14BFF with anything less than 38s and its basically a ditch witch /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Thats why I am not going to put a 14 bolt under mine for some wussy 35's. 12 bolt will handle 35s, and so will a 10 bolt. I will have my 12 bolt welded all the way around though, I saw a plug weld break this weekend and its got me scared haha.

13. camiswelding

notice I predicated my answer by saying "reliably"... and look where hes writing from... norway... I think it snows there if I remember correctly.... like feet of the stuff
    dont think I would want to wonder if my axles were strong enough in a snowstorm at 10 degrees above zero....
    as to what chevy specd on 14 bolts you all (of course)are correct... however "we" also know what will hold up reliably by seat of the pants use... and you know those of you running big tires on a 10 bolt are courting eventual disaster... who wants to walk 20 miles from nowhere with broken 10 bolts... over there he can probably get some good deals on moog axles...
    thanks
    cam

14. 85scottsdale

We don't walk away, we fix it and drive home. If you know you need to worry about breaking axles then carry spares, and this guy is talking about street use and some snow use and probably with open differentials, open diffs will keep you from breaking axles, i'd say mainly street use and snow use with open diffs and 35s or 36s will be plenty reliable, lets face it. You would have to run pretty big tires on the street to break a 10 bolt. And you get even less traction in the snow.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Camsk5 a stock dana 60 still has a weak link. It is about 14" long 1.3" in dia. and is called a stubshaft
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. There are some guys out here that can spank a trail in 1/2 ton gear to help a couple of skinny guys, driving full 1 ton stuff, nurse their tail off of the trail. (all parties mentioned will remain nameless). Thumbs up/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.. you know who you are /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Rune,
    Go for the 35's on 1/2 ton gear unless you are fully locked and love to krawl (you mentioned you weren't a krawler though). I ran 37's on my D44 for a year (open diff) with no breakage.

16. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

No he is not speaking of open diffs. He mentioned trutracs front and rear. If you are speaking of reliable operation with 10 bolts locked I would recommend 33's. Sure you could probably get away with 35's doing mild wheeling but if you felt it necesary to lock both front and rear chances are you get into situations every once and a while where you would tax the axles pretty good.

Just my 2 cents.
    ~Max

17. camiswelding

you are correct about the d60 weaknesses....
    I fixed mine... and yep I run skinny rock tires... havent broken anything... but I like it ultra reliable... dont think I could walk 20 miles if I didnt have the right stuff to fix it...
    short story...
    While I working as a deputy on loan to catalna island we were out in the backwater of the island four wheeling the k5 on tax dollars and landed it in a ditch... breaking the stock 10 bolt seriously and it had 31s... we had to hike 5 miles for the repeaters to work to call for help... they helicoptered in a wrench from the mainland who determined it was too broke and not worth fixing in the boonies even if they could bring an axle over(there werent any tow trucks on the island) so they left it there... yes it was a beater ... of course that was in the 70s... occasionally we would hike in and strip a part off it
    thanks for the education
    cam

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Been running 35s on 1/2 ton stuff for about 10 years now, I would say 38s are safe to run without adverse affects. I assume these axles are "built" and there is some external beefing as well. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You would have to run pretty big tires on the street to break a 10 bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh really? I broke mine on the street with 31" tires. I wouldn't call that, "pretty big". Truck had a 305 at that time too, so horsepower didn't kill it.

35s max on a 10 bolt for no breakage.

20. 85scottsdale

If your breaking a 10 bolt with 31s and a 305 its not the axles fault, its because something was worn out.