Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

max. tire size and stuff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HvyJunkSSG, Dec 9, 2001.

1. HvyJunkSSG

HvyJunkSSG Newbie

I just got a 1990 K5 to replace a 2001 Cherokee I sent on its roof ::note to self.... NOT a HMMWV:: and am wondering a few things.
    WITHOUT a body or suspension lift.... what are the largest tires I can put underneath?
    WITH a perhaps 2 1/2 inch suspension lift how large of tires and what kind of gas mileage should I then expect? Will it drop 10mpg... or something menial like 2 or 3 mpg?
    Where can I get a soft cover to replace the fiberglas top?
    Who makes a good interior roll cage.... or even a partial bar for the back and in the event this one meets the same fate....... how bad does the roof cave? My flip wasn't so much something out of a CHiPs scene but more of a ...... "Oh, Look I'm gonna roll over.... gee nice side view.... uh oh there it goes all the way" sort of thing.
    Is there a company that makes a header to exhaust tip system that perhaps empties out of the back with duals or should I go to Midas or something and have it custom?

Thanks for whatever insight you all can give......

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I have 33's under my blazer with a 2.5" lift and don't have any problems. As far as the roof crushing there is an integrated roll barr inside the main beams so it's pretty stout. Im not if sure if roll cages are homemade or you can buy them complete. Never really checked into it.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can fit 33's on stock K5's. They will rub at full stuff though. I have 32's and 2.5" lift and like mentioned before, they fit no problem. Gas mileage depends on gears and driving style. I get 8-10MPG intown (depends how I drive) and 12-13 highway. That is with a carb though. Your FI should get better mileage. Exhaust. I had true duals done at Midas. Cost me $450 w/high flow cats.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

For hardcore offroading 31s is max on stock height. You can go to 32 or 33 on a 2.5" lift. There are guys who have rubbing problems with 33s and 2.5" lift to though. I can vouch for the intergrated rollbar being really strong. I rolled my Jimmy 6 times with no cage ( it was getting installed the next weekend, ohwell now I hae an offroad toy) and am still here to write this. I still recomend a cage in anything thats for offroading. It now has a full family cage, similar to a Safari cage.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. HvyJunkSSG

HvyJunkSSG Newbie

Whats the widest I could go? 9 inch or 12.5?
    Right now it has the stock wheels..... kinda shiny aluminum with the holes ( I like them but need to polish them) but if I need to change them for a wider tire I would....... If something like a 31 x 12.5 would fit and ride well then I would go with a fender extension.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have 11.5's on a 15x8 stock wheel. 12.5's will fit too.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. GMtrucklover

GMtrucklover Registered Member

I had 33x10.50x15 swampers on my k5 and they fit perfect no rubbing. I love my big o tires but you can only get them in a 33x12.50(which is what i have on my blazer now stock. Or bfg makes there tires the at ko and the mt km both in that size. I know the ko's are 127.99 plus mount and balance. I think the km's are around 130 dollars or so. If you want i can get you a set you just have to let me know. The exhaust what ever you do keep it going out of the side (the rear window will really suck it in if you ever leave it down), on my 90 burb i have the flow master highflow cat and turbo II truck muffler and i sounds good with the stock tail pipe. Got a little power increase out of it and some mpg raise.

74 gmc work truck
    87 k5 blazer hardcore wheeler
    90 suburban family hauler/snowmobile
    96 gmc k1500 daily driver/tow vehicle

8. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

I just put 32x11.5x15 on my 87 with no lift and they fit fine without any rubbing, if my front springs weren't old and sagging I would probably be able to fit 33's with no lift.

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It depends on the truck and whether or not you plan to disconnect the sway bar. I've got a 4" lift and 33x12.50's hit (they folded the bottom rear of my fender under).

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>