Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

max tire size with 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Aug 27, 2005.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

78 Stock K5 with tired old 350 and springs. What is a resonable tire size 32 34? I don't want to do any body cutting even though the rust has done much of it for me.

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

i run 35s. it works ok.its mostly light offroad thoug.thats usually the max size.

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

max tire size for the rear is 35 and the front is about 37

4. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

welcome to opinion city with this question. Ask this of someone with 10 bolts and 35's with open diffs and they'll swear by the 10. Lock them up and use them off-road and you'll pop shafts and u-joints like its going out of style. You will need to do some trimming if its 35 and somemore if its 37's especially in the front. I run 37's on a 14bff rear dana 60 front and a 4 inch lift. I needed to trim the front more than I though, but no metal has come off the rear yet.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I have yet to break a shaft locked with a Q78 (36" actual height) TSL, but i also wheel with my head and cary enough spare parts to cover me breaking anything short of a ring gear. If you know how to drive, and you are running components in good shape, you can get buy with little to no breakage on a 35 with decently hard wheeling. I wheel within the trucks limits, and dont do stupid things like let the rear end hop when im in the rocks, or stomp on it in reverse when wedged somewhere with my wheels turned to full lock.

Frankly after reading about how easily everybody else seems to break their rear 10b, im amazed at how well mine has held up. I would not run anything bigger than a 35" though, the only reason im running the Q78's is because i had them laying arround at the time, and they have worked well for me.

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

im running 36s and i havent broken anything but a drive shaft, although i am light on the gass and open in the front.

10 bolts in mud ONLY - 38s MAX
    10 bolts on trails -36s
    10 bolts on rocks - 35s

and this is all with open diffs. when you get lockers and traction aids it things break alot easyer.

ALSO
    10 bolts and boggers are baad. 35s might be doable but boggers tend to be hard on your u joints

7. wazzabie

I'm not thinking about going with more then 34's. I just don't want the tires to rub or break stuff.

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I ran 38s on an open 10 bolt for a while no problems but like has been said I am considered to be a gentle driver if you use the loud pedal alot you will break with 31s I think you will be just fine with 33s or 34s espacially 34s cause most of them are narrow

9. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats very true the 34's tend to be skinny which really does help with that breakage/rubbing issue. Stock heigth with old springs, 31's are probably all that will fit without rubbing. Especially when you get them flexed.

10. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I run 32 * 11.50 r15 and no problems with stock suspension. had drivers front and pass rear off the ground at the same time, no rubbing

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I run 36" swampers on a open front 10b and so far so good. Haven't broken anything yet. I ussually play in mud and rocky trails. I would like to get an lockrite for it but I think that would be pushing it.

12. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The Dana 44 aka 10 bolt is rated for a maximum tire size of 33"........period
    upgrading axles will add strength but remember it is still a Dana 44 housing :bow:

13. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

well corp 10 bolts are not the same as a dana 44. the problem with any 10 bolt though, isnt just the small axle that wont hold much oil, but it is also the shafts, and the ring and pinion become thin.

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Well, guess i better go swap tires then, since according to you my axles can only handle 33's, and not the Q78's that ive been running for a year and a half with no breakage. :rolleyes:

15. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The trick is not to lock it. I had a lockright (for sale in the for sale section) and I broke a shaft with bairley any throttle and that was with 35's.
    I was looking into getting some yukon chromo's and super joints. That to me would be good for 35's with a locker.
    Yes you can make them last with thinking but I hate having to worry about stuff breaking.
    Most people will say, "yea you just have to get good at changing shafts". I dont care how "good" you are it just plain SUCKS changing shafts.
    Save up some and get a D60, that is all.
    My .02

16. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahah

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

14b in rear 10b in front id run 38s

10b/10b 35s

18. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

:thumb:

19. wazzabie

Good info to know. To be safe then I should stay with 32" which is kinda wimpy

20. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The 10 bolt is not a weak axle assy., as long is it not pushed beyond it's limit.

Big wheels and tires are cool looking and add off-road ability......on the same note they also add a lot of un-sprung weight to the axle assy. which has a adverse effect on handling.

Be realistic with yourself and the intended purpose of the truck for the majority of use that it will see.......mud-boggers need agressive profiles to claw thru the goo and lots of ground clearance.........sand racers need all-terrains and minimal lift..........mall crawlers need a quiet tread pattern and a low center of gravity to promote safe handling at highway speeds.

Axle related failure at highway speeds can be fatal so do it right and be safe :bow: