Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Max Weight Limit?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by willyswanter, Oct 19, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is the maximum rated capacity trailer I can tow with a Class C license in California? I'm going to be building my own Gooseneck flat bed and of course it's going to be overkill like everything else I make but I don't want to have to go get a commercial license when I'm done /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

as far as i know if you dont exceed the gross combine wieght of the vehicle then your good, also another thing to consider is length. I think you have to stay under 50' of trailer and truck.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You need a class B license for driving a truck rated 26,000# GVW and higher. Need a class A for driving 26,000# GVW truck and/or towing a trailer rated 10,001# GVW and higher. Overbuild your trailer keeping in mind the weight of the trailer and of the intended payload and tag it for 10,000# GVW. It does not matter if the axle capacity exceeds that or not. Only thing that matters is the registration, although that means you can only operate the trailer within that weight limit or you could be ticketed if caught. Make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, so I can build the trailer as heavy as I want to where it could safely be rated 20,000 GVW. But, when I get it tagged it needs to be "rated" at 10,000 GVW for my Class C. And if I ever carry more than 10,000 GVW and get weighed I can get a ticket. Gotcha. Ticket is better than parts flying every which way as my truck flies off an over pass /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Next, anyone happen to know of any good places for gooseneck flat bed plans online? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status