Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maxed out memory

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just maxed out the memory on my old computer. I now have 512mb of memory. Kinda nice haveing all the memory my old IBM P3 computer can handle. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Next step will be a new computer that can handle alot more memory and a larger hard drive. But that's a few years away.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yikes, that must be an old computer! I run a gig on my laptop, 2 gigs in the desktop.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yikes, that must be an old computer! I run a gig on my laptop, 2 gigs in the desktop.

[/ QUOTE ] It's around 3 or 4 years old. P3, 1ghz. just a basic desktop computer, nothing fancy.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just built an older one for k5redneck . k6-2 300mhz , but it surfs fast , and is stable with win2000 , and has Lan , sound , video and USB , 100 mhz FSB .

My current rig is No frills K7VTA3 motherboard w/raid usb 2.0 , sound and Lan , Athlon xp 2500 + and 512 mb of ddr400 , 80 gb Maxtor drive , Nvidia GeForce 2( don't need more , I have a ps2 for games ) w/ dual heads and a external TV tuner , Toshiba DVD rom , Verbatim ( Panasonic ) DVD burner , and older Subwoofer system .

Soon to be again for my wife is my old PCchips m810 , and Duron 1.2 gig , 256 mb of PC133 , need a good used harddrive and power supply ( atx ) , will run my old 20x Cd burner on that so my wife will leave mine alone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I just recently finished my rebuild.

DFI nforce 2 motherboard
    Athlon XP Mobile 2500+ Oc'd to 2.3G (11.5x200)
    Corsair PC3200 1 GB
    Western Digital 74G Raptor SATA
    Western Digital 80GB 8mb buffer PATA
    Radeon 9800 pro Oc'd
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

All in all it's a pretty nice setup for me. It's no athlon 64, but it will do for maybe 2 years.

Z3PR - if you want a nice computer, build it yourself. You can really build it on the cheap.

Shaggy - you run 2GB in a desktop? Do you run a file server on it or something? Just wondering.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Shaggy - you run 2GB in a desktop? Do you run a file server on it or something? Just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I multitask like crazy at work, I'll be working on 2 or 3 Photoshop files, Siebel, Outlook, Excel, and half a dozen websites with various scripts running, plus SSH windows and Remote Desktop sessions going on, all at the same time. I also have a share dfolder that I store files that I need fast access to, things like virus patches and stuff like that, where the machine is under my desk all the time so I know it's always up and running. My laptop actually handles all of that pretty well, but when the backup kicks in at noon it starts to get a little jumpy.