Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

May Be Buying a K5 need some input

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DJ6624, Aug 1, 2001.

1. DJ6624

DJ6624 Newbie

I am looking to buy a full size SUV either a k5 blazer or a ramcharger. I could either buy a project RamCharger that has over 200K miles on it and it would need alot of work for 750 bucks or i could buy a 1984 K5 Blazer that is in perfect condition for 3500 bucks Itwould even be painted for me in the color or my choice. I think that 3500 bucks is alot for a 1985 but the guy sellgin it is a friend of a friend and all of the engine work has been done recently and he referbished the interior allready down to the type of carpet that i want, the rubber-like flooring stuff, what do u guys think? should i go out and buy the 1984 all i would have to do is lift the suspension put on some new tires and be done with it. or get the R/C i think i would end up having to spend more money on the r/c and buying one that is done saves me the tiem and i will be able to have it doen in time to go back to college with it. any input would greatly appreciated.

DJ

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

3500 is really not that bad , if it's in good shape!
    Just make sure to check for frame cracks arount the steering box..that will give you some idea of how it's ben wheeled...

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'd go for the K5...

there is plenty of project stuff to do on a vehicle, and any advantage you can get will save you money in the long run. I'd bet it would cost a LOT more to get the Charger in the shape the K5 is then start from scratch with it.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

All bias aside, I'd go with the K5 - Aftermarket goodies for the Dodge are few and far between, and are priced accordingly. The same goes with replacement/repair parts. The K5 also gives you the convertible feature, which Dodge did away with in the 70's?

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The crack in the frame near the box is not ness. from wheeling it. I have seen pavement pounders crack.

$3500 is not a bad price. Go for the K5. Besides theres no Colorado Ram Charger, but there is a Colorado K5!!

On top of that, as others have said there is a better selection of GM parts. Good luck finding R/C goodies.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!![​IMG]

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would go with the blazer 3500 is not bad i see lots of blazers go for more than that and need more than just a lift and tires

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

7. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

$3500 is not bad at all, especially if you know everything that has been done to it and everything is sound. down here i've seen 80 models that were in decent not great but decent shape sell for $4000 or more

8. Ok, HOLD UP!!!! The first thing you gots to realize is the K5 BLAZER AINT NO SUV!!!!! You'll get lashings saying that around here![​IMG]

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

lol, right! If you want an SUV, you're thinking Toyota, Nissan, FORD, etc.

I'd go for the K5 too. It's easy to work on, parts are a dime a dozen, and if it's going to be painted, I'd assume the rot is minimal or will be repaired. One place to check that may be missed by the paint job is the end of the bed. Every K5 I've ever looked had holes in the floor back there under the carpet, some so bad the tailgate hinges rot off...

The Dodge is prolly easy to work on too (my old Mopar car was cake to work on), but you're going to have lots of fun restoring it (not the good kind of fun either), and trying to find suitable parts as easily and cheap as the K5's...

Hey, did you really expect anyone on ColoradoK5 to say "Buy the Dodge, K5 is too much trouble"? lol, maybe when they drive buicks to the moon...
    Good luck on whichever you decide!
    Hopefully we'll be saying welcome to the addiction on your next post!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

10. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I paid 2500 for my 85 sierra classic. It had 90,000 miles on it and the owner thought the engine was shot when I bought it but, turned out all it needed was a new steering column tires starter and exhaust. I got the steering column for 25 bucks and my dad ran a tire/gas/ coop so he got the tires for a good price (i dont know how much though) and i got the starter for 15 with the trade in of the old one and a friend of my dads had a set of dual exhaust laying around in his shed and just gave it to us. so to get it up and in fair condition it only cost me around 50 dollars. i dont think the 3500 is a bad deal at all if i was you i would do it in a heartbeat. espicially for a new paint job and new interior and a good running engine!

1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. 1970 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition steering column shift.