Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

May buy a 79, need input!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey there all,
    i found a 79 K5 for sale close to me and would just like some input on what i know so far, here's a writeup he sent to me.....
    This truck started life with a retired guy who got too sick to drive it soon after it was purchased.It sat in his barn for 19 YEARS and I got it from the estate sale after his death in the spring of 97. I replaced the suspention with a 4" Soft Ride from Super Lift that consisted of 4- new spring and shocks and urethane bushing. The tires were replaced with 32" B.F.Goodrich Mud Terrains.There is a matching spare. The motor was next. I had the stock 305 overhauled with new gaskets and seals and the carb rebuilt.And the transfercase was treated to urethane mounts. Then I added some stuff: overhead console cloth dash cover Viper alarm remote hood lock Kenwood indash AM/FM cassette stereo with amp. and 10 disc changer. 8 Polk Audio speakers with custom front enclosures. annd Dynomat sound deadener applied to sheel metal. This truck does have 2 problems: 1)The ball joints are sticky untill the grease gets warm. 2)fender rust has started on the drivers side in the last 3 months(see picture).
    23000 Miles · 8 - Cyl.
    · 2 doors · Automatic transmission
    · Used · Clear title
    · Blue Exterior - Blue Interior

he's asking $4500, i'm going to look at it soon and check it out for hidden rust and whatever else you guys tell me to look for, what i can't believe is the LOW MILES! he said he bought it for 5k then invested around 4k in all the add-ons and engine work.......what do you think?
    thanks!
    HAYDUKE
    (i'll try and post pics.....)

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Doesn't sound like a bad deal from the decscription. But, do check it over thoroughly but, it sounds like a good deal.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Only 23000 original miles on that thing???? Wow! Now, why would he have to replace the 305 motor if it only has 23000 miles on it? I know, I know, 350 has more power, but if he spent all the money to swap out the motor and then decide to sell it right away and lose the money, I'm a little skeptical there. Make sure you check for rust hard. I know he said there is only rust on the fenders, but depending how bad they are, that could be costly. Plus, if there is severe rust on the fenders, who knows, it could be everywhere underneath, even really hard places find. If I was to do it all over again, I would buy a rust free truck that doesn't run well and then build it from there. Body repair sucks. But if everything is true about what he says, than $4500 sounds ok, I would try like $3800, but I am a bargainer.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Look under the carpet at the drivers and passengers floor pans. Also the area right behind the wheel wells. Check the front and rear in wheel well arches to see if they are clogged up. $4500 with those mods listed ain't a bad price. Body work does suck but if the body is still sound, I'd jump on it.

6. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i also always have my family mech. check over any vehicle b4 we buy, been with him for 14 years!
    aside from his listening, eye-balling, and compression check, what else should i ask him to check out?
    he never charges me for this stuff, he'll get the $$ at some point!
    thanks guys!
    HAYDUKE

7. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

8. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Well low miles aren't everything. It doesn't cost much for a rebuild these days. If he had the engine seals replaced, expect the calipers, rear pistons, universals, if its got ac, all hoses and vac lines, axle seals, all tranny gaskets to start leaking once its driven. The worst thing for a vehicle is to let it sit. So $4500 will probably cost you $6000 in the end. I'd get an 89-91 with all the comforts of a caddy. But it would be cool to say you only have 23000 miles on a 79. Also if you can verify his story with the retired guy, b/c whose to say its not 123,000!!!!!!

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

9. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm impressed. I've got a '79 with <70,000 miles. I've spent alot on body work, and have quite a distance to go.

Only wondering why he is selling. Obviously he has got alot tied up in it, and won't be recovering his investment.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

10. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey all,
    talked with this fellow tonight and got some good info, i'll be looking at it saturday.
    urethane(sp?) body,tranny,susp mounts
    4" springs all around, lifted PROPERLY with all the add-ons
    warn hubs in front (??)
    all the seals and gaskets were replaced just recently
    carb rebuilt too

i'll let ya know what i find rust wise, etc. a full convertable is what i've always wanted! wish me luck.....

peace.
    HAYDUKE

11. roaddog400

roaddog400 Newbie

I am the guy with the truck for sale. Hayduke turned me on to the site and I was curious what you guys had to say. Every word of my story is true!It is really disappointing, I have been called a liar, cheat and a used car salesmen. Everyone thinks I have made up this "little old lady from Pasadina and she only drove on Sunday" story. The plain truth is I found a truck that was rarely used. I replaced what needed to be replaced, had the seals and gaskets replaced and a rebuilt carb. Ya Ya, I know." You spent almost $900 to have a 305 rebuilt!" The motor had 18,000 miles on it! What was the point? I was in college and it was Feb. in Columbus, Ohio! Then I added some creature comforts.
    I really don't understand why no one believes they can buy this truck and have to do very little to it. I am trying to buy a new house and the truck has to go. But, if I can't get at least $4500 for it I will have to bite the bullet and find a place to store it. All you guys know how much you have in your trucks, so you know how much it sucks that I have to sell it. Call me a fool, but a new house is a little more importent then this truck. I can be reached at 614-488-6862 if anyone else is interested. I would really like to sell it to an anthusist(sp?) and not some jerk that will destroy it. It would be a pity for a piece of auto history to be ruined or parted out.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

By the way, a '79 is not a FULL convertible, only a half top, but they are still awesome.........ask me, I own one!!!

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

13. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Roaddog400...Hayduke asked for our opinions on the purchase of your Blazer. Zepplin said to check it out throughly but that it sounded like a good deal. Boss was skeptical, suggested to check for rust, and then said if everything you said was true, that $4,500 sounded OK. Wheels gave input on where to look for rust and then said $4,500 with all the mods listed, ain't a bad price...if the body was sound, to jump on it. Dumfounded warned about leaks and seal problems that occur when a vehicle is stored for long periods of time. He also suggested to verify your story with the retired guy. (He missed the part about him being dead). 79Guy was impressed at the mileage and wondered why you were selling at a financial loss.
    I'm wondering who called you a liar? Who called you a cheat? Who called you a used car salesman? And where did you get the impression that EVERYONE thinks you made up a story? The strongest words were by Dumfounded who was really saying "Trust but Verify". Now what is wrong with that? Hayduke is contemplating the purchase, from a total stranger, of a 21 year old Blazer that sat undriven for 19 years, and is beginning to show signs of rust. Under those circumstances, I think all the advice that was given was excellent. I also think your post was inappropriate, and you owe EVERYONE on ColoradoK5.com an apology. That's my opinion.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

14. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

in MY opinion i dont think he was refering to anyone on this list as to who called him a liar used car salesman,the way i read it was others that he has talked to,but that my opinion and just how i read it.sometimes its hard to understand how someone's is tryin to say something.weather(sp)the are mad, happy,well im done rambleing(sp)im not sure now what im sayin.

guns dont kill postal workers do

15. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

One thing is for sure though. Roaddog400 is a enthusiast, I'v been selling some things over the years and felt what he is describing. Sold my chopper just 2 weeks ago. The guy I ended upp selling it to was extremly happy to buy it and took my word for what I was telling about the bike, shook my hand when the papers where signed, and had even bought me a botle of Jack to "please the sales-gods". That felt good. When I sold my previous Jimmy to another guy, he didnt even once look me in the eyes. Started re-bargening when I picked him upp at the airport, was commenting on every litle detail claiming I hadnt shown it on the video(I sent him a tape of the truck).. Just to get mathers over and him out of my face I let him have it for 600USD less than what we had agread on. Felt sick all day after that..

When dealing with enthusiasts your for the most part safe. Good luck to you Roaddog400 and hope you'l be happy with your new house..

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

16. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Roaddog400...I thought you were referring to the people who responded to Hayduke and I was sticking up for them. But after reading Doughboy's post, I realized that maybe I didn't read it right. If so, then I apologize to you. And, in the words of the late Rosanne Rosannadanna from Saturday Night Live...Never Mind!

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

17. roaddog400

roaddog400 Newbie

I didn't mean ANYONE here called me anything. The comments have come from locals who don't know what they are looking at. The comments that were made here were the right ones and truely honest. Thanks! Roaddog400

18. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

wow, this thread saw some action last night! if all goes well this sat. i'll be heading to the bank on monday to work out some stuff, i have a loan on my current K5, then i'll be next selling my 86....
    great input guys.
    peace.
    HAYDUKE