Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

May buy supercharged 'Burb, need advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Aug 25, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Found this locally and just want some input since NADA is worthless on this:

1999 Chevy Burban, LT, 3/4 ton, 4x4, 454 Vortec, Whipple Supercharger, 400+ HP

Talked to the owner on this, the burb itself has high miles (140K) BUT the guy had some idiot do some engine work a little over a year ago and the idiot dropped a bolt into the crankcase and got some crap in there that clogged the oil pump so he had to put a whole brand new dealer installed 454 Vortec which is when the supercharger was added, this was about 40K ago.

He says it's pretty damn clean, here's one pic:

[​IMG]

I have never driven a supercharged vehicle and just don't know what to think.

What do you say guys?

Oh yeah, asking $8,900

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's a sweet looking ride! 454's aren't exactly popular right now, due to gas prices. And keep in mind that with the supercharger, you have to run premium fuel. The added cylinder pressures demand it, so that you don't melt the piston tops. :eek1:

Should be a blast to drive though! :cool1:

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My site manager had one of those Ford Lightning pick-ups with the supercgarged deal on it, we were chattin about it, and he said it actually didn't do too bad with fuel mileage, as long as he wasn't "on it", it still didn't do as good as a standard motor, but not horrible.

just don't "GET ON IT" too much, and have fun when you do, i was amazed at the power his Furd pulled out when he stepped on it, and the sound was just AWSOME. :saweet:

and yes, that was one thing he mentioned as well, the premium unleaded fuel is mandatory.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Well I looked and even without the new engine and supercharger:

Kelley Private Party Value: $11,525
    Edmunds PP Value: $9,740

NADA site is still down so I couldn't get that.

Just looks like a pretty damn cool ride for well under $10K

And yeah, the guy told me his trip computer actually shows him getting a couple MPG better since the supercharger (could be the new engine though)

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It looks pretty nice. I would get it if I had the money. I love driving superchargers floor it and go right now

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

looks sweet but needs new rims. those are car style rims nor working with the over all theme of the ride. had one in the shop one time and she got up and went down the road . same basic package as what you are looking at.

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I think if you go over the truck good and everything looks to be in good working order mechanically then if you like it buy it.. That truck around here without the super charger is selling for about $13,000 so that is a damn good price..

The only concern I would have would be the transmission..

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We get 28+mpg on our supercharged engine. :D Oh yeah, it's a 3.8L V6 in our GTP, maybe that's why. :wink1:

The premium fuel is the only obvious downside. If it's a weekend warrior only, then that mitigates that issue.

Looks like a good deal. This would be one of this times I would take the vehicle to my mechanic before purchase.

Now you can get your boat to the lake quicker. :laugh:

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

*guzzle guzzle*. If you dont drive many long miles everyday, you should probably get it. Driving it as your DD if you put on some huge mileage would definately hurt your pocket.

My gas pickup cost me 6 dollars a day in gas. My honda civic costs me a little under 3. (15mpg vs 38mpg). It just depends on how far you have to travel. If you only have to go a few miles...5 days a week, 4 weeks a month, now your talking 120/month vs 60/month.

Dont feel too bad though- there is a price to pay, but I think your mileage is similiar to some smaller suv's out there (and even the tacoma- my buddy puts about 60 bucks of gas in every week!).

10. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

Supercharging (supercharger, turbocharger or any positive airpressure to the intake like ram air) increases Volumetric Efficiency, thus giving you better mpg IF you can stay off the throttle, IIRC the VE of most stock N/A engines is like 60-80%, but w/supercharging you can get 100-150% depending on boost pressure.

but for $9k it sounds like a deal, new dealer BBC and s/c could cost you 5-6k...

11. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

I have had a Whipple supercharger on my '89 Blazer for about 6-7 years now. Never had an issue with it. Drives normal until you get into the boost then the gas mileage will definitely go way down. Added about 80-100 hp. Cost was about $4K for system installed myself so keep that in mind when considering the offer price. Ask the seller if he has ever changed the supercharger oil...since it has it own reservoir. It should be changed on a regular basis...don't remember the exact time frame...it in the owners manual.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I also have a GTP and I have gotten 30+mpg on highway trips before. The super 3800 is only rated 1-2mpg lower than the standard 3800, but of course the fuel is more expensive.

Make no mistake: a big block suburban WILL guzzle gas, but the supercharger won't hurt, unless you drive the vehicle hard. Many GTP owners report slight increases in fuel economy when they increase the boost (smaller blower pulley). There is nothing "economy" about feeding a BBC with premium fuel.