Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

May get a free car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So I was talking to a room service guy at work about how it sucks having a Jeep that I never get to do anything with because I work so much and can't afford gas... Then I was all... I need to get a little car to beat around in that gets good gas mileage, like a Subaru...

That's when I was told of an 87 GL Touring Wagon... it apperantly needs a water pump. if I talk to the kid's dad, it's $200... if I talk to the kid's mom, it's free since it'll be going to the junkyard soon if no one takes it :)

I drove by it tonight in the work van, but no one was home for me to talk to... I'll probably stop by on Monday night...

I have a place to put it, and most likely the means to repair it, I just need to talk to the kid's mom and find a trailer if it's not driveable... If anything, those Touring Wagons aren't the most common of Subarus. I hate to say rare, because they're really not... Just not something you can get every day... Plus they have the Dual Range transfer case, which is highly sought after in the Subaru 4-wheeling community. So even if I can't fix it, it would be in my best interests to get it and I can make a few bucks off of it :cool1:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Subaru's popular in new england...

We see a lot of Subaru's around here,people love them for the commute in bad weather,and ski trips on weekends durin the winter..and mom's taxi use..

I'm not that familiar with the newer ones,but several friends had older ones from the 80's that were pretty durable--many of them tagged along on off road excursions--more than once my friend in his Subaru "Brat" mini truck was able to get thru a spot we could not fit our K5's thru,and we had to turn around!--a real PITA at night on a pitch black trail,and 3 trucks behind you!..

They used to be considered the "chevrolet" of foriegn cars back then,they shared many parts between the many models,and they were easy to get out of a bind with duct tape and bailing wire in an emergency much like a chevy too..I helped a guy change a motor in one he got for 100 bucks,and it was mint except for a siezed motor(daughter ran it empty and drove from VT to cape cod! :crazy: )--it made it home!--but refused to start the next day,it would barely turn over,it was too stiff--the motor is similar to a VW beetle in design,but its water cooled,and in the front--it was only a hour or so job to pull out the dead motor and install the new boneyard replacement one!..

.I would buy one if I had a chance to get one cheap--they are better than most small cars, as far as the 4wd goes you cant beat the bad weather capability,and are decent on gas and reliable.. :crazy:

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

www.ultimatesubaru.net

There are some good examples there of what Subarus are capable of... Sure, a truck beats the heck out of a car on a trail any day, but for a car, they're really quite good I'd say :cool1:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd hop on it. You can't go wrong with free... Well, you can, but this one doesn't really sound like it. :thumb: