Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

May have a problem here, (problem solved/found)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4xcrazy, Mar 4, 2006.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Here's the deal, i picked up a "74" crewcab dually, cab, frame, axles, doors, bed,,yadda yadda....

I just noticed today, there was no V.I.N. tag on the dashboard, or any doors, there is however a V.I.N. "looking" tag on the inside of the glovebox door,,,,

The problem i found out, is that the V.I.N. number on this glovebox door, does not match the number on the title.

is there another V.I.N. plate somewhere on the frame? heard of this, but never found one yet.

Or am i kinda screwed with this little project and gonna either need a new V.I.N. plate with title??? or another cab???

:(

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

on the later 70's 1/2 ton's that I've seen the VIN was stamped into the frame on the outside in the vicinity of the tank(s) - as in you'll need to pull the gas tank(s) off in order to find it - that's also if it hasn't rusted too badly or otherwise been damaged.

in AZ do they title by the frame or by the cab? or do both have to match?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Whats on the door pillar by the latch on the body ?

My 77 tub has no dash Vin either , only on the body by the door striker . Perhaps its was the saem on the pickups too .

We got dash vins much later than the passenger cars did .

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I think its by the frame in AZ . Although if its not a salvage title , no ones gonna look . TJ has a salvage title so they are going to look :eek1:

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Will have to check out the frame area where you mentioned, the tanks are coming off anyways,,,WAS plannin on putting in newer F.I. style tanks.

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

On my 77 Crew the vin is on a tag under the striker post for the driver's door.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well nevermind, and thanks for all the numerous replies :rolleyes: :doah: :haha:

anyhoo, Pauly was here tonight, helping me with moving some stuff around, and we were looking over the truck, and he realized, that the tag i was looking for, was actually on the REAR DOOR pillar, basically on the main bodywork, which makes sense.

SOOOOOO, thanks again, Pauly has SAVED THE DAY,,,
    or the build anyways:D