Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

may need an old timer for this question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eds77k5, Dec 12, 2002.

1. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

armstrong tire co. was bought by perelli in 1989, they ran the "grip the road" ads, people traveling across africa touted the armstrong tires, i just paid 20 bucks for a set of 4 11x15 LT armstrong tires, they seem to be bias ply snow tires, no number in front of the 11 but they measure, as near as i can tell, 30 inches in diameter, my 31's are like 29 inches so maybe these are 32x11x15? the one thing that confuses me is that 2 tires seem to be bigger than the other 2, optical illusion or what? 2 tires are retreads and 2 are not, could that be it? i would like to run these but thought the difference in size might do something bad, the guy i bought them from said they were on a scout, he gave me the wheels too, they are 5 lug run of the mill wheels, these are 8 ply nylon with 4 ply nylon sidewalls, load rated c, still plenty of tread left, anyone know anything about these tires, thanks for any info. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Retreads just have a new layer of tread layed on top of the old so they will probably be slightly taller.

As long as you get the same sized ones matched on the front or back you should be ok (if not it might wear out the tires and/or differential quicker). There probably isnt enough height difference to hurt anything offroad.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I will second what 4x4 freak said but would like to add to not sue the retreads for your steering tires. Just isn't safe! Even the DOT states this for commercial vehicles!

4. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

ok thats some good info, thanks alot, maybe when i get them off the other rims i will be able to check their size /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif