Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

May not be a K5

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Go ahead and start the flaming now, but my first 4x4 truck may not be a K5, but for one good reason:

Fuel Economy, 'nuff said.

Actually, my DD may soon turn out to be again the '92 5-speed 2WD F*rd Ranger I drove in high school if my dad has his way.

But what can I say? I haven't been working for 6 months, so I'm practically broke, and I'm not gonna be working at least until June, so cash is what I'm tight on at the moment, and I need to take what I can get my hands on.

That being said, as a precursor to getting a K5, there's only two compact 4x4 trucks I'm considering as a replacement for the 2WD Ranger when I can afford it:

Solid-axle pre-85 Toyota (wishful thinking I think around here)

TTB 4x4 Ranger (TTB, IMO, is the best IFS 4x4 suspension there is)

So can you guys let me go on this, and not flame me to death? :crazy:

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

why flame? im planning on getting a 85 yota too.. put some 33"s on it so it looks more like a 4wd. and start saving gas money..

3. gauder

gauder Banned

Hmmm, maybe you could put the front axle from a jeep under that 2wd ranger.......

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

dont sweat it, we'll still think you're just as wierd driving a non-K5.

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Yeah, that's a thought, put a Dana 30 under the front, pull the T-case from a 4x4 Ranger or Bronc II and stick it in.

6. gauder

gauder Banned

And since you've got time on your hands, a trip to the junkyard might be in order.

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Only thing that bothers me is that I bet 4WD Rangers/Bronc II's from the 80's to 90's only came with chain-drive cases, so I wouldn't be able to twin-stick it, unless somebody's came up with a way on them to engage the low-range without engaging the front-axle at the same time.

Something else I could do too as a way to get on the trail even faster is get a 4.10-geared Ranger 8.8 rear to swap onto the 2WD Ranger and add a locker to it. Currently, the 2WD one's got 3.45 gears and an open diff that make for great fuel economy, but really only my dad can take it off-highway with any hope of not getting it stuck.

8. gauder

gauder Banned

Do you really need to twin stick it? You really want a K5 eventually remember.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so you need twin stick to go offroad? and wouldnt swapping to 4.10s kill the precious fuel economy you've been so anal about lately?

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Brainstorming. Whatever my first 4x4 is, I'm going to ask some of the Tellico regulars around here what Tellico trails would be the limit for it, and then start off on the trails meant for stock vehicles and of course work my way up.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ttb may be one of the toughest stock independant suspensions but it still sucks. it has horrible camber issues especially when lifted and if they have extended travel. there are definetly beter setups out there, there just uber expensive.

12. Inu-Hanyou1776

Probably a 4x4 Toyota then's what I'm gonna go with as a first 4x4. Most of the hunters who are around my age around here use one as their hunting vehicle, so that says something.

How tough's the Toyota 4x4 IFS compared to the TTB?

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just drive the Ford as is, sve your $$$ and buy what you wan ehen ou have enough. A polished turd is still a turd.;)

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hey now this seem a lot like tech!!!!!!

take it outs here we dont need you tech around here!

15. Inu-Hanyou1776

It may be tech somewhat, but's its not K5 related. Can non-K5 related stuff still go in The Garage? If so, I'd like a mod to move this thread then.

EDIT - Never mind, mods please move this thread to The Garage, I'm not thinking tonight.

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Why a pre 85 Toyota? 85 is the best of both worlds; EFI and solid axle...

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

Pre-'86 then. I forgot the year the POS IFS first appeared. But I'm not sure if Pre-'86s would be an easy find around here in Murphy or not, haven't really looked.

18. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

hell, as cheap and easy to find as k5's are, why not buy one off the bat? the money you save from not having to swap everything out, you can put into the gas tank. already comes with solid axles, a v8, and if you look hard enough you could find one with a 205 so you can twin stick it. plus they are a hell of alot cooler than any ranger or toyota could be. at least you werent looking at heeps....

ryan

19. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'm still considering getting a K5 off the bat too. It just depends on what's available locally. I haven't really started digging in the classifieds yet because I'm still practically broke (though I just now bought some more DVD's online, but that was only a $55.00 purchase), so even if I did find a good deal I don't even have the cash to pay for it. Yes, I'm afraid the 2WD Ranger's gonna have to do until I'm back to work for a few months. At least it's a stick-shift.

How common were stick-shifted K5's? Pretty rare?

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, use the ranger to drive around in... save $ and buy on non-DD K5. Its the only way to go unless you're a) rich or b) own an oil well. I drive a 94 2wd Ford Ranger to the bus stop every day... works great and gets dang near 25mpg. Its a good parts hauler in a pinch too... I carried a ff14b and D60 in the back from Newport OR all the way home. Thats about 1000 pounds of axle. :thumb:

j