Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

may potentially blow up and cause canman trouble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 68MUDSTUD, Nov 21, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok guys, i was wondering if anyone has an extra bible they'd like to shoot my way. i would like to read it. seriously. i guess ive just been wondering alot about the whole "God" thing lately, and i might change my views on it, ill pay you guys for it, whatever it takes.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wrong forum n00b. :p:

Also, I'm pretty sure you could shoot an e-mail to one of 10000000000000 places that'd give you one for free. Stop by a church as well, they'd be more than happy to.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If anyone gives you crap because you're looking to expand you knowledge base, I'll be pretty upset. There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn about something new.

As far as getting a bible, there are a few guys around here who probably have a spare one kicking around. However, if I was you I would drop by the local church and tell the pastor/priest/whatever that you would like one. I'm willing to bet he's gladly give you one to read.

4. 68MUDSTUD

sweet thanks can! :bow:

you can go ahead and close this thread now if you want ;)

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah, every church will give out Bibles, I've seen them at truck stops too.

6. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

I can help you out. Seriously. Email me at debbill@surewest.net , looking forward to hearing from you.

7. 68MUDSTUD

email sent. thanks!

8. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I look at the "Book" as the ultimate action adventure novel. I use it and another religous Book of my particular faith, as a guide for my petty life and raising my family.

Besides the Old Testament really rocks!

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd suggest finding a teen study bible instead of going for one of the classical translations. They are a whole lot more interesting to read, and are filled with side notes that help you understand what is being said, along with cool facts and stuff.

You'll also want to start in a more interesting chapter in the New Testament. Far more interesting to read, as much of the Old Testament is lists and stuff, which can be exceptionally tedious... I tried reading my NIV bible cover to cover once, and I made it to about half way through exodus before I gave up, lol

Believe it or not, but there are websites out there that have strategies for reading your bible, along with suggestions of specific translations to start off with etc.

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

If you move to Cali god's children come to your door! :D

11. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Oh sh!t RJ's writing something!

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sure am

14. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

THE FOLLOWING IS SIMPLY MY OPIONION. I DO NOT CLAIME TO BE RELIGIOUS OR KNOW IT ALL.

Reading any bible that has been altered and has "side notes" is useless. The ENTIRE point of the bible is to take from it what you read, not what someone else thinks you are supposed to get from it.

Religion is NOT going to church on sunday and taking notes, sure church CAN be important for its community aspects, however in reality religion is nothing more than faith in something.

15. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Amen to that.

16. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah there are definitely alot of crazy versions of the Bible out there, when I was baptised, my parents took me to a store to pick one out that I wanted, it was definitely overwhelming. Nearly an entire 40ftx7ft high wall package full. I personally have and use a NIV study Bible, and it definitely helps with understanding things that are hard to grasp, or precontext stuff. If you are still needing a Bible, shoot me an email or private message, you can have my extra. My personal favorite book has to be Judges......man talk about an action packed book.

Remington

17. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I think this requires a bit more clarification. Any Bible we read in english is "Altered". Anyone who speaks more than one language knows that when you translate, it is very difficult to convey the exact meaning. So any version of the Bible has some variations from the original.

Reading a commentary can be helpful - depending on who wrote it. Something written by a scholar on the area can be useful because it gives you the context of the stories. There is a lot of stuff in the Bible that doesn't make any sense to us in the modern world - but if we understand how things worked back then - it can make more sense.

If the commentary is written by someone who is trying to further their own religion - then I think it isn't helpful.

18. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

You are correct, many things can be lost in translation (i personally speak english, french, and some german) so I get where you're coming from.

What I was getting at is that when you take someone elses interpretation of a story (remember proverbs are stories) who's to say they are correct (scholar or not).

The point of the proverbs in the bible are to take from it what you need. Anyone who reads a bible (not that I have), to seek some kind of enlightenment, is generally going to have that weigh into what they are reading. The idea is to take from it what you read, and almost no two people (in this position) will take the same meaning, which is kind of the point.

take the proverb of feeding thousands of people with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. To some this may come off as nothing more than jesus is the man and can stretch things. Some might take it as the old "where theres a will theres a way". While others could read into it that simply giving a starving person a small piece of bread is, in itself enough to make a difference.

All are possible, and probably debated by the scholars, but in reality you should take from it what you need to read.

19. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I agree - I like historical context - not people telling me what it means.

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I 100% disagree with this statement. If its in English or even Latin it has been altered. No matter what modern version you are reading it has influence from some one. There are people here in the South that will tell you if it's not "King James' it's not the Bible". It doesn't matter that that flavor is full of miss-translations.

The Bible as we know it was written over the course of many years, by many different authors. The styles they wrote in are obviously going to be different. References they used are often so arcane they make no sense to a modern mind, without doing some research. The "Thou shall not kill" vs "Thou shall not murder" debate is the most infamous translation question because its in the "Big Ten", but it is far from the only one.