Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

maybe a dumb question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by stu, May 2, 2003.

1. stu

stu Registered Member

I want to do a lift on my truck and like ORD's shackle flip. My question is the amount the axle moves forward. Did anyone run into a problem with this? I have an 82 GMC lwb 4x4. Besides the drivshaft, what else would have to be done to change this?

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

I've heard it's about 1/4 inch or so. it's not much since you are not moving the front mount of the spring, you are just rotating the spring around the front eye, moving the back down 4-5 inches. I didn't even notice it when I did mine, though I did not use ORD's kit, I built my own.

-Scott

3. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

it will change your pinion angle a lot. dont forget about that.

4. stu

stu Registered Member

yeah I figured I would drop the transfer case a bit. as for only a quarter of an inch I found this pic [​IMG] . This shows more than 1/4 inch of forward movement. Read through that and he took the bed off and replaced it with a flatbed because of tire clearence. http://www.j0ker.org/~yukon/

5. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

well I read through the install and I'd sure like to see the stock suspension. doesn't apear that the shackle in tension was right on that year of truck. it seems like the shackle couldn't have been verticle from looking at the picture of the shackle just hanging there next to the frame rail looking at where the holes mount. just my observation anwyays, maybe that has something to do with it. I did this with my '74 truck and it didn't do that so...

-Scott

6. stu

stu Registered Member

Scotts 4X, If you got a pic of your truck I'd like to see. I want to do the 4" lift and put 35x10.5x16.5" on my truck, or will I need more lift for that?

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

1st gens have a real problem as the rear tires are set closer to the front opening in the wheel wells.

8. 70K10Chevy

70K10Chevy Newbie

I just did this to a 70 k10. I used the 4" flip with 4" skyjacker springs. My rear end moved about 3" forward. My drive shaft is too short now. get the xero rate blocks and install them before you do it.

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Early trucks are bad about this, they start farther forward and use a deeper arch spring which makes it worse. You can flip the rear springs around sometimes, they often have one end longer than the other and you just put the long end at the front.
    On a 2nd gen, it's not so bad but they still sit closer to the front to begin with and the flip doesn't move it back. Typically flipping the spring backwards or using a zero rate can take care of it.
    Running deep arch lift springs will always make this problem worse.
    Also keep in mind that springs will move the axle back as they compress so for tire clearance, you need to have the tire closer to the front for it to work right. Usually not as much as the examples you see above, but that's how the tire will move under compression.

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I looked but I don't have any pics of the truck from the side before I did the shackle flip. The axle did move forward somewhat but definitely not 3". Probably more like 1" or so on my truck, but that is just a guess - didn't measure. Didn't have to shorten the driveshaft.

I didn't have any clearance issues and added the flatbed for functional purposes rather than clearance issues.

11. stu

stu Registered Member

Hey Yukon Jack, good to see ya here. I'll see ya back at the 67-72 board!