Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

maybe a stupid ???? but

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blublaz57, Aug 16, 2002.

1. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

what does the "K" in k5 ,k10,k20,etc.... stand for? actually a question from myb son and i didnt have a answer. thanks Don /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm pretty sure that that is like asking "Whaat is the sound of one hand clapping?" Nobody knows, just a random pick from some dude at GM in the 60s. What does the Z in Z28 stand for? The L in LS1? Same thing...

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well I do know that the "k" means four wheel drive and the "c" means two wheel drive and the 10.20,30 means half ton,3/4 ton and one ton...mike

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, there I go skipping over the obvious again... </font color>

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

C and K are for vehicle identification in VIN.
    C = conventional
    K = 4wd

Z28 = RPO code for the high performance package
    LS1 = RPO code for an aluminum block 5.7L with a goofy firing order

All motors start with L. I don't know why. It's just like all transmissions start with M.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Jeeeeeeezis Don!!!!! The K stands for Krawling and Klimbing over rocKs and junK that get in the way. NOTHIN' ELSE! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Unless in this pic, it means KicKing back and KooKing burgers[​IMG] /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

thanks everyone,jim i should have just called you /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Jim i like your explanation, but do tell- what does the C stand for on the 2wd line?

mike

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe the C stands for cruising. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    C and K are for vehicle identification in VIN.
    C = conventional
    K = 4wd

Z28 = RPO code for the high performance package
    LS1 = RPO code for an aluminum block 5.7L with a goofy firing order

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green">
    I feel that I have to say that I knew this... Wrath, you think I'm an idiot or what, I thought you knew me better than that from ORC? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I was trying to make a point that the letters, be it the C or K, or letters used in RPO codes are a random pick and do not stand in for a word, I wasn't asking what those things meant...</font color>

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I know you knew it. I'm also pretty sure you knew that there is a pattern to them.

Most people don't know that RPO codes have a definite pattern to them. The same goes for VINs. I just chose yours to reply to since I figured you'd take it in stride.

Back in the day, they did pick C for conventional though. I'm sure there's a logical reason (*cough* *cough*) for them choosing K. I can't remember why FoMoCo picked "E" for theirs though and then called all their trucks F150s whether they be 2x4 or 4x4. That's Flord-and-going-nowhere for you.

I forgot to mention, soon I'll be releasing all the RPO codes I've gathered. It'll make pattern-spotting simple.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's cool, I kind of assumed that you were just using it as an example, just had to defend my honor, so to speak. Have you collected as many RPOs as this site? They have an awful lot of them... </font color>

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, and they've got first and last years it was used. I have fewer RPO codes but also more information (or so I think).

Theirs:
    L93: 76-81 ENGINE, VENEZUALA(EXPORT)
    LS9: 77-86 ENGINE, 350 C.I.D. V8 (350L)

Mine:
    L93: ENGINE, DIESEL, 6 CYL, 2.5L, TURB0
    LS9: ENGINE, GAS, 8 CYL, 5.7L, 4BBL

It was their site I used to track down the options on my 77. The LS9 motor out of my 77 is now in my 84.

14. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I guess it would be for Cruising, kiCking baCk and Cooking on the hibaChi /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

FoMoCo, lol. We've started using that up at the shop as a new swear words of sorts. Open the hood on something, and dont like what we see, its "Ooooooh FoMoCo...". Or if we break a bolt or something, its "FoMoCo!". We had to change a tailgate on an F-350 and I popped of the old Ford Embelem and slapped it on the toilet tank link /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . We love FoMoCo /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Oh, and to add some more to the confusion, why the switch to V in the 80's in place of K.

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

They only did that so the new IFS truck could have C/K instead of R/V.

A friend of mine, the only Ford guy him or I know, agrees some things are backwards by Ford. "Chevy would have no excuse to do something this stupid but since Ford did it.." is what he used to say. I still think instead of FoMoCo it should be MoFoCo.

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

18. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure they are just random?? cause i don't know about the engines, but at least for the trannys the letters mean something, like 4L60E, 4L80E, the L is for Longitudinally (sp?) for the way its mounted in the vehicle, if it was a front driver with a transaxel, it would be T for transverse mounting, and Obviousely the E is for Electronic, THey all have to mean something, but its all in Geekspeek, we'd need an Engineer to English Dictionary to figure it out. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Tose are not RPO codes though, they are the model names of the actual trannys. The RPO would be the 3 letter/digit code that denotes which tranny the vehicle got, be it a SM465, Th350, TH400, etc.</font color>

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For example the SM465 was RPO code "MM4" I think. As for what SM 465 stands for I'd guess it's Saginaw/Muncie 4 (speed) 6.5 to 1 first gear?/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rene