Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maybe a stupid ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Jul 24, 2006.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How do you measure for bumpstops? I'm pretty sure that I need them and some limiting straps for the front and rear. Looks like the 4 1/2" stops are about $50. Where can I find some good limiting staps.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

For leafs it would be best for them to stop uptravel just before or right when the leaf springs flattens out.

I wouldn't worry about limiting straps on leafs. Only thing you want to keep an eye on is spring clamps. If the main leaf comes out of the pack too much, it could break.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bump stops on the stock P/U's and Blazers, prevent metal to metal contact during full compression. Like busted shocks, and the stress of the sudden stop of metal ta metal, instead of the cushioning of rubber. A lot of the stock Blazers and PU's I've seen, had flat springs on the front that flexed both ways.

Limiting straps, IMO keep brake lines, slip joints, etc; from breaking, coming apart.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

stock leaves are negative arch to begin with.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm thinking that I need limiting straps because I pulled both of my front shock mounts off the frame. Yeah, maybe my welding wasn't the greatet, but after closer inspection I saw that the ford tower actually broke. My weld and a piece of the tower is still attached to the frame. My 56s in the front flex like BigPappaPump:haha:

I've got 14" travel shocks and had them set up for half and half. Maybe I need to add more to the drop positon?

6. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about base bumpstop at full compress of shock and rest goto droop?

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The best way I have measured for bumpstops is taking a tire off and putting an engine hoist on the wheel stud using an old shackle I have. Lift up the opposite corner on the opposite end that should flex you out plenty to set your bumpstops. If you can weld your shock mounts on again you can take a zip tie, tie it around the shock and go flex your truck. The zip tie will move up to the point at which the axle stops its travel. You can do this with the engine hoist too. Where you set your shocks will depend on where you set your bumpstops. Leave about 3/4 of an inch on top of the shock at your max up travel.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

definetly add more for droop. i doubght you have 7" of uptravel. you should only need 3, maybe 4" of uptravel w/ 56's, they sit way flat as is.