Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maybe new car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, May 19, 2005.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Went lookin for a new car for the wife today. We found a 2002 Taurus, with only 200 miles on it at the Ford dealer. They ordered it new, and noone bought it, never been tagged or titled. They are asking 12,850 for it, about 1700 over Kelley Bluebook. Does this sound like a good deal to anyone besides me????

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i would give them no more than 11k for it. even a brand new car sitting for 3 or more years will have problems. i know it will have warrenty stuff with it, but it could be a hassle. also look up some history on the tarus, radatior hose problems are frequent with a lot of years and the lower one can be a pain. check other sights for recals and other gen info like htat. then maybe go down less. they have already lost a TON of money on that car, they will let it go CHEAP!!
    Grant

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no way i'd even consider spending that much on it. yeah, its a "new" car, but being an '02, the factory warranty is GONE. i'd say $7K TOPS.

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

The second you sign the paperwork the value will drop to that of a low mileage 02 car.......whatever that is.
    George

5. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the car has never been titled then the warranty is still good. The warranty runs from the "in service" date which is the date the car is sold. I know this because I worked at a dealer for 10 years. BUT, it's still a Taurus. :(

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I was told by the salesman that the 3yr, 36K warranty would go into effect if we buy the car, but I will see that in writing beforehand. I understand bout the price being higher than bluebook, but how many 3yo cars can you buy with only 200 miles on them? Only new cars we could find in the same price range are KIAs (GAG ME), too small and Hyundai technology.

7. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I'd buy the Kia or the Hyundai any day before the Taurus. I've had a Tempo (I know... it was a tempo...) and an Explorer and had nothing but problems with both.

The Tempo was almost brand new when we bought it and very well cared for too. It had chronic oil leaks and burned alternators and charge wires on about a 3 month basis...

The Explorer was a 98 with about 40K on it when we bought it, and it was also in the shop for oil leaks every few months. The stereo would just quit working (and it had been fixed for that issue before we bought it.) In order to get the stereo to work again I had to build some extraction tools out of a coat hanger and pull it out, disconnect it from the car, and re-install it. I had it in the shop for a stalling issue it developed. The transmission started going out around 75K and that's when I gave up on it.

Just my experiences, but I wouldn't buy another Ferd. Besides, Kia and Hyundai both have a 10yr / 100K mile warranty don't they???

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm no fan of the little imports, but a 10yr / 100K mile warranty is a big plus.

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I'm with ya on that one. The only reason I'd go with a Kia or Hyundai is if my only other choice was the Taurus.

I'd be looking for something more like this for my wife.

CarMax® Used Vehicle Fact Sheet
    2001 Toyota Camry LE 4D Sedan
    Stock Number: 2784863
    Exterior Color: White
    Interior Color: Gray Cloth
    Mileage: 31K
    Current Store: LAX
    in Los Angeles
    No Haggle Price: $13,998*

Not going to get the 100k warranty, but I've had 6 Toyotas (2 PU's, 1 4Runner, 2 Corollas, and 1 Camry) and havne't had any problems with any of them. Plus the Camry's got pretty good safety ratings from the independent insurance crash tests...