Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maybe the torque converter? Need help

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sickquad, Apr 21, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

My girlfriend has a 92 Sable with the 3.8. Car has been stalling lately when you put it into gear and getting horrible gas mileage. Usually when it stalls, you just start it right up again and off you go.

Tonight when you put it into gear it stalls and I cannot put it into any forward gear with it stalling. If you put it into reverse it's fine.

I think it's the torque converter. Anybody here have any suggestions? Money is tight because she just got laid off, her job was sent overseas. So I definitely have to fix this myself.

Has anyone here put a torque converter in a front wheel drive car like this? How bad does it suck?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've done the torque converter and clutches before in trucks, but never a [darn] box car.

Thanks
    -Chris

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Lock up sensor

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the torque converter would't do this either would the lockup sensor. i dought its anything to do with the tranny. my guess its something with the motor. when you put in in gear you are putting a load on the motor and it may not have enough power to stay running. dont really know.

my truck does it when its cold, once it warms up its fine. my carb is running a little rich.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the torque converter would't do this either would the lockup sensor. i dought its anything to do with the tranny. my guess its something with the motor. when you put in in gear you are putting a load on the motor and it may not have enough power to stay running. dont really know.

my truck does it when its cold, once it warms up its fine. my carb is running a little rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he said it was fine in reverse though, my thoughts would be something with the trans also. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah either is lock up converter solenoid sticking, and/or exhaust converter plugged up bad,

one or the other, or both,

good luck

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, can someone tell me what the lockup solenoid does on a tranny? And maybe where it is also?

Thanks for the help

-Chris

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think you should go buy a "Chiltons" book on that car. It'd help you out alot.

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Got a repair manual, a Haynes. Absolutely no info about the tranny in it. Only manual tranny info and linkage adjustment info. That was the first place I looked.
    So, I'm still wondering what this solenoid does, and maybe even some info on how to correctly diagnose it.

-Chris

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

A friend of a friend is scaning the [darn] box on Tuesday for a 12 pack. Hoping the best.

-Chris