Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mayor of Vancouver, Wash., went on a violent rampage Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jul 16, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mug-Smashing Mayor

Thursday, July 14, 2005
    [​IMG]

Lest anyone be alarmed, Mayor Royce E. Pollard's (search) anger was directed at two Starbucks coffee mugs that had the audacity to have — horrors! — "Portland" printed on them.

Pollard's made an issue of promoting his fair city, which both languishes in the shadow of much larger Portland, Ore., just across the Columbia River, and gets confused with even larger Vancouver, British Columbia, far to the north.

"Vancouver is the fourth-largest city in Washington" — after Seattle, Spokane and Tacoma — "and people better start showing a little respect," he told The Columbian of Vancouver (Wash.).

So when Starbucks started selling its "Portland" coffee mugs, part of its "Destination" series of 23 locally branded mugs, in his town, Pollard went ballistic.

He had an aide e-mail Starbucks headquarters in Seattle, but their answer wasn't good enough. So he set off in pursuit of the Portland mugs.

The first Starbucks he got to had heard he was coming and had already safely evacuated its Portland mugs back across the river.

"It was because of you," manager Melanie Goodman admitted. Pollard gave her a hug.

The next Starbucks wasn't so lucky. It had two Portland mugs on display. Pollard bought them both, walked over to a garbage can by the front door and smashed them to bits.

"What's he doing?" one employee, or "barista" as Starbucks calls them, asked another.

"That's the mayor of Vancouver and he's breaking up the Portland coffee mugs," the other replied.

"Sweet," said the first.

By the end of the day, Starbucks had capitulated to Pollard's demands and announced it was pulling its Portland mugs from all of Clark County, Wash.

The Columbian newspaper cheekily suggested to Pollard that Starbucks might ship its Vancouver (B.C.) coffee mugs south to replace them, but as of Thursday the mayor had not replied.

Likewise, there was no word on whether anyone in Portland, Maine, was upset about the Portland mugs.

— Thanks to Out There reader Bryan D

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, news from my home town! :D in general, natives from Vancouver don't think much of Portland... so the mayor is definitely "in the mainstream".

j

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh, I thought you meant Vancouver B.C. :doah: :D :haha:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If anyone at StarBucks had a brain they would stock up. He buys them, and then breaks them, but who cares after he buys them. :D

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't think our mayor is the sharpest crayon in the box... :laugh:

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:rotfl: :rotfl:

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Where in the hell is Vancouver ?

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's in Washafornia....You should know Jim, you brought the fornia... :haha:

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I thought you moved up there to get away from that kind of crap :haha:

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

It is an honor you know..

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Yea right, like your mayor is any better. Hmm... He has resigned due to lawsuits and "San Diegos deficit ridden pension fund"-Time Magazine says " One of nations worst big city mayors". See we dont have big city scandal & corruption. We got the wrong forking coffee cups. My Mayor is is gonna straighten this sh!t out.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

All I have to say is Starbuck sucks............. That is all.

13. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Hey now, he's the mayor of San Diego and I happen to live in El Cajon. My mayor looks like a homeless person but at least he's not involved in any scandals like mcMurphy and he's not freaking out over Starbucks cups like your boy over there. :D