Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mazda RX-7 owners

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by dysphemism, May 20, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I was looking into purchasing a used RX-7, the 1993 and 1994 models are pretty cheap. What can you tell me about them. Are high mileage ones still good? How does insurance treat these cars, do they cost more to insure? Any help would be great.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

not an owner.. but i can tell you this... if you find one cheap because the owner let it sit and it wouldnt start... pull the plugs.. pour about 2 caps of tranny fluid down each plug port... reinstall plugs, and crank... they have a problem with the rubber apex seals drying out and not holding compression... also blowing pressurized air can re-set the apex seals to get you home and put new ones in... simple engines to work on....

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

again not owner but high mileage will most likely need rebuild but hey a fresh motor in a 93-95(95 was last year not 94) RX-7 is a nice looking and performing car. I am looking for a first generation RX-7 myself but that will end up with SBC power /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

If you can find a 3 rotor twin turbo engine, you can swap that in for your two rotor and put out like 500 HP...very cool stuff. I love rotary engines, I think they are the best engine design yet.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

20b triple rotor and 13b twin rotor you are talking about

6. 4x4dreamer

Yes, those are they. I undestand you have to beef up the front suspension for the extra weight, but man, the power would be sick!!!! Eating Vette's for lunch.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah if i could afford it I would build a 20B 93 RX7 in a heartbeat. And I hate imports /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

8. 4x4dreamer

in the world of rotary engines, there are two ways of doing it...Mazda's, and everyone else's. The RX-7 was a badass car throughout it's production, and the twin turbo 13b was no slouch. The RX-8 is putting out almost as much HP naturally aspirated (severley lacking in torque though), but when someone gets around to making a turbo for it, it's gonna sweet. My favorite RX-7's were the 2nd gens...though I would take a 3rd gen in a second. Just sweet cars.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am not an RX-8 fan, to me it was suppossed to be a 2 seater sports car and the severe torque defficiency is a big part of it. Horsepower doesn't mean jack if you don't have torque to get it up and going. But yeah someone will make a TT kit and it will all be over /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

10. 4x4dreamer

it's a good looking car, and it's supposed to handle like a dream. I guess once you get the revs up, and it revs to like 9 grand, it does prett well, but off the line it's a big dog. The 2+2 seating is growing on me. I'm sure Mazda will put out a turbo version in the next few years.

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

rx8 can only hit 9? heh there's 7's in town knockin on 14k

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they say it doesn't come alive till almost 8 and it reds at 9. at like 8000 something there is a beeper that warns you redline is coming up.

13. 4x4dreamer

Engine is so smooth that you can't tell by the sound that it's redlining...it just wants to keep revving.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah thats why they have the warning buzzer, thats pretty sweet though, especially if you can get into it make it rev a few more Rs and put some more power throughout the band. Aka give mazda or the aftermarket a year.

15. 4x4dreamer

From what I hear, some companies are already make aftermarket stuff for it...which is wild. It's not hard to get more power from a Rotary, just gotta watch those apex seals.