Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

McCain... gates of hell?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, May 4, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I read his quote online and thought "yeah, me too".... then I watched the video on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1PZD2sw6-Y

anyone else think that big smile after the quote is more than a little bit weird and maybe even highly inappropriate? When I think about saying something like that, maybe its just me, but I go in Marine mode... and it isn't a time to crack a bigass grin. :mad:

Its possible that bin Laden is the most evil piece of **** ever to walk the Earth. Yeah, Hitler, Stalin and Mao killed a LOT more people... but that is a question of capability and having a nation-state to do all the killing for you. On the pure evil-o-meter, Bin Laden is right near the top. He killed thousands of my fellow citizens. Innocent people just trying to work and support their family.... people going about their daily lives only to be struck down by a bunch of terrorist filth. When I think about that ****, big grins don't exactly come across my face.

j

2. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm... I've got two theories... The first is that they already knew the questions and had the answers memorized and he didn't pay attention to what he was saying, just reciting it as memorized... The second is that his PR people told him to keep smiling throughout the debate or whatever, so every time he comes to the end of a statement or pause, he smiles... or a combination of the two. Either way he looked like a dumbass.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That smile was a bit strange...but you can tell he wasn't sure if it was a good idea...just look at him stutter facially when he did it.

Fact is, that question asked was friggin stupid. Just like that other question of "What do you dislike most about America?" asked to Romney. MSNBC blows big floppy donkey dong.

4. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

I think that your over thinking it a bit. Like stated before, he is on TV for a debate ie. look good keep smiling. The more interesting question is how would of Hillary answered it, with a frown.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I thought the smile at the end made it seem a bit over-rehearsed and not so much "from the heart". When you're saying something like that, it's supposed to be ringing with the passion of the words. When you're caught in the passion of saying "I'll follow him to the gates of hell", it's odd to follow that with a "Ready for my photo!" grin. I'd almost expect him to start foaming at the mouth...

Wasn't that response not to a question, though? I thought that particular answer was stumping on his time from another question.

6. jekbrown

Mit shoulda said "left wing kooks who ask dumb questions... NEXT!"

j

7. jekbrown

i hear what you guys are saying about the rehearsals and planned smiling etc. I dunno... it just seemed wrong and way to regurgitated. Like it was meant to be a much-played sound bite and was only uttered to score McCain some free press or something. I dunno about the rest of you, but I could spit out some anti-Osama stuff without a bunch of rehersing.

j

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

The only thing McCain will follow to the gates of hell is a TV camera.

I don't buy his act for one freakin' minute.

9. jekbrown

:haha: :bow:

McCain is a celebrity whore, I'll give ya that. I like what he says about the war on terrorism... but I dunno if he'd manage it any better than GWB does. Same thing with Guiliani. Sounds good... but the proof is in the pudding. No way to know for sure until they are in office, so we basically have to make a judgement call based on the guys character. I dunno about the rest of you, but of all the Repubs that might run in '08... the one I trust the most is Fred Thompson. Everything about him just screams "plain-spoken, what-I-say-is-what-I-do, no-bull****" kind of guy. Gotta LOVE that.

j

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I like Fred Thompson too.. I trust guliani as far as I can throw him.

11. jekbrown

yeah, I only trust Guliani about 1 thing.... hunting for Al Queda. Everything else is suspect... and lets face it, there is a LOT of 'everything else'. Obviously the guy is good at crisis management also. Being the Prez is about a lot more than that though. Frankly, I don't care if the Prez turns into a crybaby after something bad happens... so long as he is in his right mind enough that he can put forth a sane/smart/wise policy/agenda... thats all I care about.

j

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ya know what tho, thats all I give a sh*t about tho... Killing terrorists...

I don't care what Rudy's liberal leanings are on other subjects.. I agree with some.. But what I do care about is someone who goes after muslim extremists..

Calling out Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, etc on all this sh*t... Freakin France too, them f*ckers are gonna get screwed by their own population... And they certainly deserve it...

The sh*t will hit the fan at some point...

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, I worry about more than guliani's view on roe V. wade or anything like that.. I worry that his liberal leanings will make him unable to resist giving the congressional democrats everything they want, including more control over how we prosecute the war on terror.

granted, rudy is saying all of the things we want to hear ( right now ), but liberals cannot act outside the bounds of their mental disorder for very long.. the question is, did 9/11 really affect his convictions, or is it a platform for him to get into office and then take the country on a hard left tack?

one thing that bugs me is the guys serial marriages.I'm sure he had to sell each wife very hard as to his honorable intentions and undying love.. then it seems he changes his mind.. as a country, can we afford to take a chance on a guy who is that fickle?

Maybe I'm thinking wrongly on this, but my fear is that his liberalism will surface when we least need it to.

14. jekbrown

well the WoT is certainly my #1 issue... but that doesn't mean I'm just going to shrug off a guy who may pass large tax increases, a government take over of health care, or further erosion of the 2nd Ammendment. All seem possible, or even likely, if we got Guiliani + a slightly more liberal Congress. Very bad times. Prosecuting a war requires a strong economy.... and 2 of those things would kick our economy in the nuts harder than bin laden ever could.

j

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I agree 100%