Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

me again, still a glow plug problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Apr 27, 2007.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, this has been a big PIA! i paid someone to fix this and had no luck, he could find it. So i give up. my last idea is to make my own wireing to make the gp work. with a switch. So, how do i go about this? i have a lot of wire so that no big deal. what wire size should i go with? does it need to be auto wire? as always thanks guys, hope this is that last time around for this.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Look for a small light blue wire going from the GP relay to the GP controller on the motor. Snip the blue wire about 6" from the controller, pull it back out of the loom and route it under the dash. Get a momentary switch...push button is best...and hook up the small blue wire to one pole and ground to the other.

Now when you turn the key on and push the button your glow plugs will come on for as long as you hold the button. If you have the old 11G's, 9G's, or 13 G's you'll want to be conservative with your glow time nto keep from burning them up and having the tips mushroom.

If you have Kennedy quick heats 5 to 6 seconds should be plenty. If you have AC60G's or Autolite 1110's 8-12 seconds will usually do it.

If this is a CUCV and the GP wiring is substantially different then someone else will prolly have to chime in.

Rene

3. 84CUCV

yeah, its a damn cucv. i have two with the same problem. i tryed what you said didnt do anything. thats why i was asking how to make my own wireing. any ideas?

4. tRustyK5

Without a CUCV in front of me I wouldn't have a clue...sorry.

Maybe someone else will pop in here with the scoop on how to bypass the glow plug controller on a CUCV and we can finally put this to bed.

Rene

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

If you PM me your email I've got Military Manuals in PDF form that covers the M1008 & M1009 vehicles.

Kind of a pain to look things up in but once you find the appropriate section you can print those pages and get 'em as greasy as you want:D

6. 84CUCV

Thanks for the offer, but at this point i would liek to bypass the CUCV wireing. anyone else?

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure Rusty's instructions will work on a CUCV. By having the manual you should be able to figure out the corresponding wires if the colors are different. So between the two you should be able to fix or bypass the controller.

8. 84CUCV

not looking to bypass just the controller. i tryed what rene said. didnt help. looking to do do all new wires to a wireing i make up. any ideas?

9. tRustyK5

Well bypassing the controller would cure your starting issues as long as all your glow plugs work. If your glow plugs are dead or the Glow plug relay is dead it really won't matter what else you do to it. There really isn't any need to make up your own wiring...

Rene

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Ok. Get some 12 gauge wire, an inline fuse holder and a momentary switch (a switch which is "hot" for only as long as you push the button). Look at your fuse box to find out what size of fuse and switch to use. If you can't find it follow the wiring from the controller back to the fuse box. In the engine bay on the passenger side you'll see two bars, one longer than the other, with nuts to attach your wiring to. Use a meter to find out which bar has 24v on it. Now disconnect BOTH batteries. Run your wiring from the bar through your fuse into the cab to one side of the momentary switch you've convienently mounted to the dash. Run a wire from the other side of the switch back out to the engine bay. Follow the wire that runs from the glow plugs back to the controller. Disconnect that wire and connect your switch wire to it.

That's the fast simple way. If it still doesn't work check all your connections & wiring and try again. If it still doesn't work check your glow plugs. You did re-connect the batteries didn't you?

11. 84CUCV

thanks guys. i will see how it goes. the gp need 24v? i thought it was 12v

12. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yes, on the CUCV the starter and glow plugs are 24v.

For what it's worth I just got through glancing at the 6.2 tech info sticky post and it states the glow plug system IS different for the CUCV. If you look at it you'll be able to pick the wire off the fuse block to use for the bypass. That way you don't need your own fuse and the momentary switch should only be powered when the key is in.

13. 84CUCV

OK i think i got it. will be working on this soon

14. 84CUCV

Well, going to get a new glow plugs and try these two trucks one more time and see how it goes. i guess if all else fails i need to make my own wireing. i have no clue why these two trucks i like this. starting to think cucvs have messed up wireing or something. thanks for the replys guys

15. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

the instructions for the cucv and civy trucks are the same for wiring in a manual switch. its the light blue wire that goes into the controller card under the dash. The GP's arent actually 24v. they are 12v plugs (the fast heat civy plugs are actually 6v) and when starting they are hit with a short burst of around 18volts until the resistor on the firewall heats up and drops the voltage to around 12volts.

16. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

before hooking up your new set of GP's I would check to make sure that you arent getting 24v on the bottom lug of the relay (where the gp wires attach) if you are then your resistor is blown out. you could then just bypass the resistor and move the wire from the top lug of the relay from the resistor to the front battery's positive terminal.

17. 84CUCV

OK got it. thanks again