Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Me again with glow plug problems

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Feb 3, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

just when i think i have it all fixed. One day it started the next day nothing at all. There is two new batteries a new starter and glow plugs. I know i am getting fuel. Did find a small leak, but i dont see how that would have much to do with anything. Could this be because my wireing is so hacked up?? Its pretty bad. So, WTF do i do now. How do i wire for a manual gp? Anyone know where they show the wireing and how to do this? As alway thanks for the help with these Fing glow plugs.

2. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

OK...first..are your glow plugs still in the game. Do you see the voltage guage drop way down when they controller cycles them? That 's an indication they are drawing juice, i.e. getting hot...

3. 84CUCV

Yes, it is.

4. 84CUCV

OK guys, today i went over everything. glow plugs and relay are new so no need to worry about them. Getting power to the gp. how do i check the thing in back of the air cleaner? Cant think of what its called right now. Do they even go bad? any help would be great! thanks

5. 84CUCV

Anybody?? Really need to get this done

6. maynardogle

OK...so the controller is cycling the glow plugs... which is all it is suppored to do. If glow plugs test good, and are cycling and voltage is dropping...all is well with that part of the system. Must be something else wrong... fuel?...Have you gotten it to run by starting with WD40?

7. 84CUCV

Never tried wd 40. never even heard of that. There is white smoke out the back witch i think is fuel. I can smell it to. So i guess its still not glowing right. To cold to work on it now. Hopefully friday. thx for the reply

8. maynardogle

WD-40 is essentialy starting fluid for diesels that arn't getting fuel.. never ever use starting fluid for gas engines on a diesel...Ok White smoke means there is fuel that is getting hot. Are you cranking pretty quick or have the batteries gotten tired from all the start attempts. If so...charge em up overnight, 6-10 amps and try when the charge is fresh. Oh yeah...are you holding throttle down at all when you try to start? Normally mine stats just fine with no pedal, but some recommend about 20% throttle for starting. That seemed to help when I was going through what you are experiencing.

9. 84CUCV

batteries are low so i will charge them up. I think i found what it is or at least part of it anyway. Just waiting for the part to come in. will let you know how it goes, thanks for the help

10. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

GP Wiring

Glow plug relay

IMG00010.jpg

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It will never start when cold if your batteries are low. Need to be able to spin the motor over fast to generate enough heat from compression.

12. 84CUCV

Thx might need better batteries then. Ones in there now dont do to well.

13. kennyw

In cold weather you want two of the biggest batteries you can get and both of them need to be replaced at the same time. 1000 CCA min on each battery.

14. 84CUCV

Thanks crap mine are 650cca and like 750 or something like that. What batteries do you have? Where can i get them?

15. kennyw

Any auto parts store should sell bigger batteries. What size battery cables are you running also? I was able to use 1 single batter with 1000 CCA while running 2 ga battery cables in 20-30 deg weather without trouble.

16. 84CUCV

Mine is all stock cucv wireing. As soon as iget the wireing fixed up. i was going to get better 2 ga wires made up.

17. kennyw

I think the stock CUCV wires are 4 ga though... a little better than stock civilian trucks. Is your starter still 24V too?

18. 84CUCV

Didnt know they where 4 ga. i will look. Still 24v starter. Just put in there to. As soon as i get this probem fixed, i was going to go to 12v.

19. 84CUCV

the wires on my cucv didnt say there size or maybe i just dont know how to read it. What happens when you try to start a truck with two batteries that are different? thx

20. 84CUCV

The auto store by me had 800cca blue top Optima. For 120 each. more then i thought it would be. how are these? desent batteries? Could not find 1000cca. i was thinking the dealership, but i dont think i would have the$$ for that. thx for the help