Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

me dumb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Nov 11, 2005.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

allright i know this is dumb...where the heck is the original ignition coil? trrying to put in a new one, but i cant find the original. :confused:

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

in the cap on 74 and newer .

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tbi is bolt on to the intake. :D

4. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so the msd type (blaster coils) are just external ignition coils?
    ..reason i ask, i got some msd stuff, the dizzy, ignition box and blaster coil for cheap and now i just wanna put them on my engine. i have the wiring but i was just seeing where i should mount the coil. and also do the + heavy red and - heavy black wires attatch directly to the batt?

5. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

wait a minute...can i run external coil with the hei..? what goes into the top of the coil if nothing plugs into the dizzy cap?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

adapter

I think its MSD who makes an adapter that lets you use an external coil on an HEI distributor cap..looks like part of the cap,with a sparkplug porcelain thing sticking out of it ,that the coil wire plugs onto..look in Jeg's or Summit's catalog,you'll see it.. :crazy:

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

ok heres my plan...take out the module in my dizzy, make some wires that connect to the green and white, run um to the green and purple, connect the other proper wires and no external coil.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Huh???

:haha: :haha: :rolleyes: ..I doubt that will work!.. what's going to tell the external coil when to fire??...it cant guess by itself,and a pick up coil needs the module to sense the magnetic impulses when the reluctor spins,and tell the coil when to fire..!..

The adaptor thing I mentioned just goes in place of the coil cap on an HEI distributor--it simply connects the high tension wire from the external coil to the center post in the distributor cap..the coil needs the module and pickup coil to tell it when to spark,just like the points did on the old style distributors..

I think you'd gain more by buying a higher output HEI style coil,rather than go to an external style myself..might as well put a points distibutor in if your going to do that.. :crazy:

9. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

ok my wording may have seemed little weird...this is what i did.
    [​IMG]

10. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so can i just splice off the electric choke wire and connect it"key connector" , or is that wire only on at cranking? it says the heavy red, but i have a billion coming out of my firewall and i cant get very far(taking off column), i even tried to find pink but i cant seem to find it either.
    [​IMG]

11. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I say rather than tryin to rig it all together and hoping it works, and finding out it doesn't and having to fix the distributor. Sell what you got, buy a super coil and put it on there. :wink1:

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

seriously, if you cant grasp a simple mod like this you need to step back and rethink things very carefully. there's alot of things you could potentially screw up. you said you had an MSD distributor as well, right? removing and installing the distributor isnt a very easy task for a novice as yourself, and setting ignition timing can be a problem too. maybe you should look at taking it somewhere and having the stuff installed, and starting with smaller projects, rather than tackling something so vital to the truck's drivability right off the bat.

BTW, the keyed + wire in question should come from your coil +.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I believe the one labeled "Key connector" is the connector that used to plug into your distributor cap. It should have switched ignition in it. You shouldn't have to run anything up from the cab.

Unless you have experience making custom harnesses, I recommend you just buy the adapters from MSD. You'll need This Harness. The diagram you posted is just for replacing the in-distributor module with the MSD box.

To run the external coil, you needThis cap cover. Then the orange and black wires go to the external coil instead of back to the distributor cap. You will also need a short plug wire to go from the coil to the new cover.

This isn't real difficult, you will just need the right conversion parts from MSD or it will be a hack job. Without good harnesses, the system will be unreliable and therefore worse than stock.