Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

me...last Sunday...interstate...loud exhaust...traffic stop!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Oct 29, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

On Sunday I was pulled over on the interstate by a state trooper. "Sir, I pulled you over because your exhaust is in violation of the law." He said, you can't have a glasspack(which I do)...but then he looked under my truck and said...well, um, I see you left your muffler on and put a glasspack on after it. I happily agreed with him - realizing he thought my cat. was a muffler. So, then he started to check other stuff. He had me test my freaking parking brake on the side of the freeway. My truck didn't budge an inch. Cop said...thank you, some people don't reattach the parking brake after a lift (funny, I never had to disconnect mine). Then, he said...I also stopped you because I didn't see you wearing your seatbelt. My older brother who was with me blew up at that remark because we wear our seatbelts 100% of the time. My bro said...No, we always wear our seatbelts...so don't even try to tell us we weren't. The cop wasn't very pleased with that "challenge" and all I could think was...thanks bro. So, since he didn't have anything on me yet, he said...your exhaust tips extend past the end of the framerails. Well, they don't extend past the bumper, which is pretty much the end of the framerails, so I think he was kind of stretching for that one. Then the cop said...ok, Wisconsin law says you can't make the exhaust of a vehicle louder than stock. That one he got me on, because my truck definitely is that. So, I got a 14 day warning to get it repaired. I don't have to prove I fixed it in person because the cop trusts me (he actually did say that). So, what am I going to do? Next week my truck's going to the shop for a Series 40 Flowmaster MUFFLER and dual pipes turned outward right behind the rear wheels without cheesy chrome tips. Eat that...crappy exhaust rules.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifSorry, just had to vent...seeing as how as I was pulled over, about 9 other trucks wizzed by with their glasspacks and "too-long" tips.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

that cop had a bad sexual expirience the night before and was taking it out on you,

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Atleast your not in California. Apparently they are starting to make mobile Exhaust emissions testing like they do for DUI checkpoints - Emission checkpoints.

I hear they are impounding cars that are missing smog equipment! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

hahahaha, yeah...I think you're probably right.

I've had one other run in with the cops while I was on my friends boat. They stopped us and hassled us big time. Get this - all because the numbers weren't "contrasting" with the background color. Even better - the cop defined "contrasting" for us as "opposite." Someone, please tell me the "opposite" of red. (by the way, the letters used to be black and now are white)
    Cops get these overwhelming feelings of power when they get to hassle younger people. I hate it.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

damn man, ive never had cops act that retarded, atleast that i recall, but holy crap how do you hold yourself back from not verbally bashing them lol, Contrasting colors of numbers on your boat, that is taking like 5 big ass steps over the line

6. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

How loud is your exhaust anyway?
    And will the flowmasters improve on sound?
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My exhaust is pretty loud, but only when you step on it...which I wasn't as I went by the cop (parked in the median) I think he was just looking for an excuse to pull someone over or has a hatred toward trucks.
    My thinking behind the flowmaster setup is that, while it still will be louder than stock ("illegal"), it will be a low rumbly noise rather than a loud raspy glasspack. So, I'd be less likely to be pulled over. And, if I were pulled over again for my exhaust, I could show before and after pictures and that I do have a MUFFLER under my truck now and the system doesn't extend too far out.
    What do other people think...does this sound like a good option in my situation (flowmaster, etc)? How loud will it really be? I can't go back to stock exhaust now that I've had dual for about two years...things just wouldn't be the same.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Actually the "opposite" of red is green.

If you look at a color wheel showing primary and secondary colors, the ones' opposite each other are:

Red & Green
    Blue & Orange
    Yellow & Purple

I took enough Art and Graphic Design classes to know that one, however I would argue that using "opposite" colors gives you good contrast..... High Contrast is a whole different issue.

9. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Uh?, Greg72, what are you talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

A 40 series Flow with the cat intact isn't that loud. No more than stock IMO, but a 40 series Flow WITHOUT the cat is dang near enough to wake the dead. Ask me how I know, Oklahoma did away with vehicle inspections /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't think dual 40's with no cats are that loud...unless you're really getting on it. I got stopped at some sort of BS road block the other night and they never gave my exhaust a second look as I was idling there for 15 minutes. I stayed polite but was pretty ticked off answering questions at 2:30 am for no apparent reason. It wasn't a anti-drunk driving roadblock, in fact it seemed to be a random check everyone type of deal.

At any rate the worst my truck drew was a comment that "I should have mud flaps...just FYI".

Rene

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Well, that's part of my problem. I don't drive like a loon, but I have some pretty tall hills right out from the house.

My trucks been running REAL rich since I put the new motor in it, that caused it to wake EVERYONE in about a 1 mile square when I would start it.

BTW, I'm running a single 3" exhaust. Going down the road or idleing around town ain't bad, the occasional passing move will bring a few looks though. It's gonna be downgraded back to a regular muffler soon though. Couldn't hear Steve Frisbee trying to spot me at Disney last time. Yea, I was kinda gettin on it too /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well you can't have a conversation in my truck on the freeway...no carpet, dual 40's (2.5") Headers and bias ply TSL's all combine for a fairly loud ride.

i'm going to be converting to 3" single very soon, not because I don't like my 40's but because I need the underbody room to install my new antiwrap bar. I may go with a quieter muffler too...for now I'm undecided.

Rene

14. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got pulled over one night for running my KC lights on an old back road farm road with absolutely no traffic on but the cop saw the light from another road to the side of me and came and pulled me over. I told him that I want them because of the ammount of deer on teh road and stuff and he agreed that was ok and asked if I had been drinking or anything. I told him I don't drink at all so he said good night and left. Then as he was walking back he was looking very hard into the bed of my truck and I think he was looking for bottles probably cause most the high schoolers here go out to the middle of nowhere and drink all night and just wanted an excuse to check me out.

15. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Greg72, You beat me to it. i know exactly what you are talking about. I agree, White would be easier to read on Red than Green.
    Ike

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have dual 40's on the 78, no crossover pipe, no cats, had Hooker Comp headers and now Flowtech Afterburners, 2.5 head pipes, originally 2.5 tailpipes but now 2.25, and it is only loud when RPM's are above 4500 which isn't too often with 31's, 3.08's, and a TH350 slushbox. I went with 2.25 instead of 2.5 tailpipes because they "crackle" a little more when the go pedal is stomped, but reduced the interior resonance so it is more comfortable going down the highway (daily driver and about 40 miles on the freeway round trip to work). I think they are just as loud with 2.25's as with the 2.5's, but it changed the tone and resonance (if that makes sense). My motor is a bone stock crate 350 except for the edelbrock intake/carb combo and headers. Higher compression motors or higher displacement may make a difference, also higher numerical gear ratios and/or smaller tire size (each increases RPM for a given speed).

Granted it is loud compared to stock exhaust, but my buddy with the same setup, but glasspacks, drowns me out going down the road (and that's when I am in my vehicle and he is in his, as I can hear his over mine).

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks everybody for the responses so far.
    So, you're pretty much saying that I should go with the flowmaster 40 series. (I want my dual exhaust to rumble...without being so loud that I'm a target for cops.)

18. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I have DynoMax super turbo's with 2.5" duals that exit behind the rear tires.I also have a "H" pipe mounted behind the transfer case.
    I get a real nice low rumble at idle and a moderate roar when you get into the gas.I also have 2.5" Corvette exhaust manifolds.The eng. is a mildly built SBC350 with TPI fuel injection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can here what my Dynomax mufflers sound like here it's not the greatest recording but at least it will give you an idea of what it sounds like.
    That's an option over the Flowmasters.If you dead set on the Flows,40's are kinda loud.If you don't want to get hassled go with the 70 series.my personnal opinion anyway.
    Go to Flowmasters site.You can actually here what each muffler sounds like installed on certain vehicles,it's pretty cool.It aslo has charts compareing the loudness to an OE system.
    http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/web10/indexf5.html

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BobK that exhaust is beautiful

20. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

BobK,
    Thanks a bunch. You were very helpful...so helpful in fact that I've decided to go with the Dynomax Super Turbo. I couldn't view your video, so I don't know what they sound like. But the muffler in general sounds like a better option price-wise and noise-wise than the Flowmaster brand. Thanks a bunch. By the way...sweet exhaust setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif