Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Me versus Tree versus Tree Stand

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So, I went hunting today, had to get in the woods early to put my new stand up. The tree I had picked out for a stand earlier in the season, somehow gained some extra foliage (I didn't notice the vine all over it). So I pressed on, put my lineman's harness on, and strapped a climbing rope around the trunk.

Turns out after every step I screwed in I had to re-strap the climbing rope because of all the silly branch stubs and the vine. Eventually I was up to about 12-15 feet. Crawled back down the tree and attached a rope to the tree stand so I could hoist it up. After repeating the ascension process with the climbing rope and wresting with a 14 lb stand on a 6 foot rope getting tangled in every thing imagineable I try to set the stand up.

My dumb ass realizes I need to screw in some aditional steps so I can position the stand properly. I somehow manage to tie a clove-hitch with the rope on one of the steps to hold the stand in place, then screw in the steps I needed. Then it came time to try to mount the stand.

Holy crap, you would have laughed to see me there; tethered to the tree 15 feet up, only one foot on a peg, the other balancing in mid air one arm holding the stand, and the other trying to reach around the tree to grab the chain. I get the chain around and attached to the other hook on the stand, but didn't pull it tight enough.. the stand nearly fell back down the tree. Keep in mind all this is a 5 AM, and I'm working with a glowstick hung around my neck and a mini-maglite with a red lens between my teeth.

I finally get the chain adjusted properly and unfold the stand. Then I have to descend and bring up my backpack and my bow. Instead of using the rope, I pull the harness tether out of my backpack and use it. This time I had a better method. Hang the tether on the footpeg at head level, take a step and move the tether to the next peg. Once I got up to the stand, then came the fun part. Start putting body weight on the stand to see if it stays. I hung my bow on an extra footpeg, unclasped the tether, and put the backpack on the stand. Moving my climbing rope up a little farther, I take the final steps to get to stand level.

So here I am, 15 feet up on the side of a tree, attached to said tree with two footpegs and a climbing rope, and now I get to test out my tree stand for the first time to see if it works. One foot goes on, and I gradually increase pressure until my weight is distributed between the footpeg and the stand. So far so good. I start moving the rest of my body weight to the stand and it holds.

I get the tether hooked up, check my slack to make sure there's not too much and all is good. Now I've gotta re-arrange my little square of a space I'll be residing in for the next few hours. I get my climbing rope wrapped, and stick it on top of my backpack. I get out some scent cover-up and use it. Trying to put the cover-up in the bag, I drop my mini maglite. Crap. There it is, shining red on the ground 15 feet down. Luckily it's only the 2AA-size mini mag, and I decide it's not worth the trouble to go down and get. So, resuming my task of putting the smell-not-so-good crap away, I knock my climbing rope off my backpack and it falls to the ground. Sonofabitch. Ah well, My bow and my backpack change places and I sit for the next few hours.

I saw nothing, heard nothing. But it'll be allright, I'll be going back to that stand several times over the next week. It's about 15 yards away from a high-traffic area. Leaving this morning I saw all sorts of fresh tracks, it's just a matter of me being there at the right time.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

maybe all the construction noises scared the critters away?:doah: :haha:

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah probably :)

But that's why I'm leaving the stand up for the next week :D

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take the light and rope. Go throw it where they were walking this morning and scare them back to you.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You need to visit me....

I feel bad for ya,after reading your story...

Tuesday night,I come home about 7pm...sat in my truck for awhile,listening to the radio,and admiring my Xmas lights ..then after a few more minutes,I see some BIG shadowy 4 legged outlines in the back yard...

I sat there and watched not one,not two--but FIVE deer eating my still green lawn (a rarity here in december!)...when I turned my headlights on,I saw at least 3 more pairs of eyes in the woods looking at me,lit up like bulbs!...

Two bucks with at least 6 point racks,and several large does,and a few smaller deer that looked only a year or two old!..I guess it must be hunting season--they always take refuge in my yard or the woods behind it--always close enough to the house so hunters cant legally blast them--can't tell me deer don't know how far 500 feet is!...

I don't hunt,or own a gun,as much as I'd like too..but don't think I could kill such a beautiful animal,and I don't really care for venison that much...the neighbor a few houses away shot one right in his backyard a few years ago,and the women next door called the cops,got him a big fine!..

I'd rather see them shot and eaten,than killed by cars though--one big buck got killed right in front of my house a few years ago--totalled a nice 94 Mustang GT!..they had to use the highway department backhoe to remove the carcass,it was so heavy!...I hear at least 3 "deer VS motor vehicle" calls on my scanner every night around here..there is more deerr here now than when the pilgrims landed here I've beentold--one pilot I know says huge hers gather just north of my property,the last "open space" left around here..they simply have no where else to go!..:crazy:

6. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: The only thing that could make that story better is if the "vine" turns out to be poison ivy !!!:haha: :haha:

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Nah, it's one of those tree creeper vines.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Mebbe I should take a vacation and participate in your local residential hunting program ;)

As far as hunting goes, I love every aspect of it; being out in the woods, the skills required to track and identify animals, marksmanship, and the good meat. There's nothing better than that one-shot kill that was the result of hours and days spent out in the woods finding the perfect spot. This is also partly why I've taken up bowhunting. Using a rifle to kill an animal 200-300 yards away, while it is probably a great shot, takes no real skill at all. With a bow, I've gotta get up close and personal and make my one shot count.

With the firearms season reopening for a week, I'm debating trying handgun hunting. My .357 has a similar effective range as my bow.

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you really want to make it sporting simply jump out of the stand onto one and break its neck.

not giving you a hard time. just imagine how challenging that would be. setting up the stand would be the easy part.

gotta look out for the antlers on the way down and don't break a leg.

the deer are out of control around here. drive through valley forge sometime. those deer you could walk up to and kill with a knife. my neighbor runs a landscaping nursery. they come every night and eat his flowers.:haha:

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That would be fun, too :)

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats a great story Mitch...:haha: :haha: :haha: but you are set up for tommorow.:D

12. cbbr

Fun, but don't get caught. There is a guy down here locally that got a ticket from DWF for using a spear. Apparently it wasn't spear season.:rolleyes:

13. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

good luck. I hope you get a big rack and some meat for the winter.

14. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

couple of guys i went to high school with would run up behing wild boar on their atvs, jump off and cut their throats, some people need a sign...

15. cbbr

I used ride go with some guys who marked wild pigs by jumping off and cutting their ears. They were not boars, just feral pigs. This was always done at night. I stayed on my horse.