Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Meal suggestions???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Jun 26, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm a poor college kid on a budget.

Anybody got any suggestions for cheap meals?

I'm tired of ramen. Lately I've been eatting salad and eggs and stuff.

I need some fresh ideas for healthy meals. Post em up.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I live on PB&J sandwiches and Mac & cheese.

3. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

dont really know that sounds like my budget that iv been on for a while get's old dont it :D

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Poor man's spaghetti, Top Ramen skip the spice pack, throw ketchup on it with some italian seasoning. Mac and cheese in the bulk packs from Costco, potatoes are always cheap too. Costco has cans of tuna in bulk on sale as well. When I go camping, I will just drain a can and eat the tuna plain. Get the spring water ones, not the oil packed ones though. One thing I did when I was just out of High School and starting college was to get a job at a restaurant. Bob's Big Boy to be precise. Worked as a cook. They gave us a full meal, and a snack, on the company dime. And, working in the kitchen we would "sample" food as well as kill the hamburgers and other stuff that was sitting too long. I never had to buy much food at home as a result.

5. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

6. JOEDEZZY

JOEDEZZY 1/2 ton status

tuna casserole = shells and cheese (mac and cheese if your really strapped) and a can of albacore tuna, mix em up and enjoy

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

try tuna and BBQ sauce too, not bad at all

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

first off - RAMEN SUCKS

secondly - easy mac, if you can catch a sale on tostinos pizzas they are good. A big thing is watch supermarkets for sales on stuff. I got a bunch of hamburger one time for 1/2 price nothing wrong with it, just a sale they had one weekend.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Leftovers make great ingreadents for meals.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You have no choice but to shop for quality, not quantity. A can of tuna is gonna keep you feeling full a lot longer than a box of KD. Look for foods that are high in protein, and keep your carbs complex- these foods digest much slower. And eat 5 to 7 times a day, instead of 3 bigger meals. You need to program your body to accept smaller portions, more often, in order to keep your blood sugar levels from spiking and then falling, which makes you feel hungrier than you really are.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

1 can of spam
    frozen corn
    2 boxes mac and cheese....

Combine and enjoy.

12. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Whole chickens are pretty cheap, $2-3. Just salt and peper and bake in the oven... 3-4 meals right there if you make up some chicken rice to go with it... white rice cooked with chiken broth and water, also very cheap.

Hated to eat Ramen because its so bad for you, you can catch meat at the grocery stores on sale when the dates about to go over on it, just make sure you cook it or freeze it the day or day after you buy it.

White rice is great to have around, can be made in to a number of side dishes very inexpensively.

In the winters I like to make a big pot of Chili con carne or Green Chile Stew and eat on that for a while, keeps you full and warm and is inexpensive if use that white rice to stretch it out a while... Chili over rice is a great way to make a pot last.

Heck, I don't have to be as stingy anymore and I still eat frugally anyways.

Had Frito Pie tonight, grilled some round steak to medum rare and cut it into small bites, made a green chile sauce from some frozen green chile (we buy in bulk when its in season) and cream of mushroom soup, open a can of Pinto beans, chop up some lettuce tomato and onion, and grate up some cheddar. Put Fritos in a bowl, put some beans on top, then meat then chile sauce, then some cheese, top with lettuce tomato and onion... cost is pretty cheap, but we have most of those ingredients on hand year round so hard for me to price it out.

Just think outta the box and don't sacrafice your meals for the sake of "It's cheap" and "I'm lazy".

13. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

That is very true with FOOD, but as a college student thats the opposite for drinking, I drink for quantity, not quality.

14. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

if you cut potatoes thin and fry them it is soooo good salt maybe pepper some kethup.
    ramen
    mac and cheese
    canned food is always cheap (.50 can) beans,corn
    toast
    sloppy joes always account for more than 1 meal
    do alot of grilling (corn on cob, meats) usually cheap
    the best is working at a restruant they pay you, and feed you.

15. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

TUNA. I lived off of it for around 6 months or so. Gets a little old after a while so mix it up a little bit. Add mayo one day, maybe some boiled eggs, and even some relish will do the trick. eat it on crackers, Pita bread or any other tyoe of bread. You can even have a baked tuna sandwhich. Ummm tuna, think I am going to have that for lunch.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mix tuna in water with mac & cheese. Add some oregano and its even better.

White rice with chunks of cured ham cooked onions. Better with garlic, cheese and paprika.

Ground beef can be cheep if you watch of the sales. Hamburger Helper will make several meals. Also, tacos with cilantro & onions, add the salsa of your budget.

Whole chickens are almost always on sale. You can bake or grill them with almost no prep time or additional cost. Cook up some more rice on the side and you are going to be full.

Canned vegetables are also cheep and easy.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

go to Walmart and buy...

1 can of nalleys chili (regular, walla walla onion or jalepeno hot are all good!)... $0.68

1 can of walmart-brand corn... $0.40

1 can of beef tomales... $1.50? not sure on the price for those... they are cheap though.

At any rate, skin them tomales and chop them up into 3/4" long slices, and toss all 3 ingredients into a big pan. Cook on medium heat until the mix starts to boil. Add tabasco if you have any on hand... turn the heat down to simmer and let it cook another 10 mins with occassional stirring. Presto, its done!

Back on campus I used to mix this up, and eat it from the pan with the same wooden spoon I cooked it with. It makes enough that its 2 good meals (unless I was starving!) so I'd just put some foil over the pan and toss it in the fridge for tomorow. It tastes good, its effiecent (not many dishes to do etc) and its cheap, doesn't get much better than that!

here is a pic of a wild-eyed camper having some. Its good in a cast iron skillet over a fire too!

[​IMG]

there is one downside... you generally don't want to eat this stuff before you start hangin' out with da ladies. Bombs will be dropped, and it won't be pretty. lol!!!

j

18. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love those beef tamales in the glass jar..........add salsa and some fried rice on the side...............cheap, filling and good!

19. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Tuna is probably the healthiest food for the money, if you get it free make sure to smell it first. :D

20. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Don't know bout healthy, but it is good. Package of hot dogs, tube of crescent rolls. Wrap the dogs with the crescent rolls and bake. If you like cheese, wrap the dog with cheese first.:D