Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mean Green Starters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys!
    Well, the stock starter on my 78K5 is starting to drag, or not disengage after starting. Makes a very disturbing noise! Anyway, I'm getting ready to replace the motor very soon, and may as well add "new starter" to the list of parts needed. So my question is this...Has anyone used these Mean Green starters before? Comments, both good and bad, are welcome, as well as any alternative ideas. Thanks.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

my friend has one on his 70 bronco...the only down side too em is that they draw alot of amps...but other than that they are great.

Chaz

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A guy in our club tried one on his 360 powered Jeep. They worked fine but did not seem to like the mud or water and he went through two of them in a 6-month period. This guy wasn't in to serious mud-bogging or anything, this was just from the "normal" mudholes on the trail you couldn't go around. He finally went back to a lifetime replacement cheapy from Autozone and gets at least 12-months out of them.
    Also, he said the warranty on the Mean Green's wouldn't cover failures due to mud or water.

4. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I didn't know about the problems with the mud and water. I don't like the idea of the starter failing and not being covered by the warrenty. About the only thing I can see to like about them is the extra torque you get and the weight savings. I guess I'll shop around and see what else is out there. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had good luck with Autozone starters.. Ask them for the off-road version. They have a smaller hole where the gear comes out of..

One other brand to consider is CVS or CSV or something like that. That sell an o-ring sealed starter and Jegs sells it... Not sure what their warranties are like, but they say it is 100% sealed. I think they run around $250..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

Try http://www.pa-performance.com They are listed on the links board here at CK5 and I e-mailed them about a starter for a range rover I have. They didn't have one that would work but they did do some research to see if they could adapt one. I dealt with RIck and he was very helpful and worked with his tech guys to see if there would be an easy fit with another starter they had. Didn't work out but he went the extra mile. I told him I saw his co. on CK5 links and if a few more people did also he may start advertising here.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.