Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Meaning Of Initals???? *DELETED*

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Crunk_K5_1984, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

Post deleted by Crunk_K5_1984

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Meaning Of Initals????

GM's tranny designations are pretty easy.

4L80e, 4 forward gears, 'L' stands for longitudinal, 80 is a model number and 'e' says it's electronically controlled.

4bt and 6bt, I'm gonna guess. 4 or 6 would be the number of cylinders. 'b' is the engine family (B series Cummins) t would be for turbo.

Gear numbers are ratio's of ring gear teeth compared to pinion teeth. 3.73 is usually 41 ring gear teeth and 11 pinion teeth. So the driveshaft has to turn 3.73 times for the tire to turn once.

There is no best gear, only the ratio that best suits your tire size, tranny type and your intended use.

HTH (hope that helps)

Rene

3. Crunk_K5_1984

Thanks for clearing up a matter that has had me wondering for weeks. Cheers!

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

What's a CUCV? Check this out /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif: The CUCV page
    It even has a photo of my CUCV from way back in '95. Yee-haw! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif There are more info pages and photos of CUCVs too.

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

On a 4L80E the 80 stands for the torque capacity of the trans. What they base the 40/60/80/85 off of I'm not sure.

6. Crunk_K5_1984

Steelsoldiers-THANK YOU!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I didn't know any of that stuff about my K5. According to the web page, my Beast is a CUCV, and I had no idea that I had 10 bolt front and rear axles. I also had no idea what that thing was on the front of the grill (NATO slave cable jump start). You're the man! By the way, what is the thing mounted on the rear bumper? It's appx, 14" wide with a 1" hole in the middle. Thanks!!!

7. steelsoldiers

Are you talking about the thing with the latch on it that allows 2 C-shaped jaws to open to receive something? If so, it is called a pintle hitch. It is the style of trailer hitch that the military uses on all their trucks. The ring on the trailer frame is called the lunette(sp?). They allow a LOT of off-road movement of the trailer. Normal ball hitches don't like to have the trailer twisted the opposite direction of the truck, the pintle allows this and a lot of lateral movement to. Now too much axial movement can be a bad thing too when it allows the trailer to flop on its side off-road /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. The M1009 CUCV Blazer is not rated for a real high tongue weight, but it will still pull a decent load. I'll have to consult my manual for the exact amount. The Blazer CUCV was designed to pull the same 3/4 ton trailer as the Dodge M37, Dodge M880, and the Kaiser M715. You can still find some of those trailers surplus. I have a BCTM Pioneer tool trailer that I tow behind mine. It was designed as a mobile field shop with a genset and lots of power tools and lights. Cool. Here's a photo of the trailer: tool trailer. Let me know if you need more info about your truck.

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. steelsoldiers

I just re-read your post and it actually sounds like you are describing the plate that the pintle hitch is mounted to and that your hitch is missing. Sound right?

9. Crunk_K5_1984

Yep, no hitch. That sux but is there an adapter to allow usage of regular trailer hitches in conjunction with the pintle hitch. Sorry for all these seemingly stupid questions, I'm kinda new to the CUCV thing. Cheers!