Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

measure once cut twice??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Jul 5, 2004.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

hi! here goes. i ordered bilstein 14" travel 5150's. i knew the front upper brackets had to be redone. but when i measured the rear i measured the wrong rearend bracket. i had previously welded new brackets on my 14 bolt when i swapped it into my 71 frame to use the factory brackets. if i use those mounts i only have 3" down travel,no good. my question is on the older chevies they had both upper and lower shock mounts in front of rear axle. later trucks had rh in front lh in rear. to control axle wrap i would guess? i have seen pictures of guys rear shock setups both ways. i checked and i do have room on the lh side if i want to run that shocks upper mount to the rear. i tried using the factory mounts and rh sock only had 1/4" clearance to frame and i don't want to risk interferancesince i have to fabricate new upper mounts i would like to do it right the first time thanks /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

any help guys?