Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Measuring speakers...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Capman2k, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Alright, my Scout badly needs a stereo, I hate driving in silence (except for the lovely sound of glass packs) and this truck has NOTHING for music, no stereo or speakers or anything.. just holes where there used to be that stuff... My question is, how do I go about measuring the holes in the truck for what size speakers were in there??? Would I just measure across at the widest point, or is there a trick??

Thanks

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    There are only about a half-dozen popular sizes for speakers. Some examples (in inches) are: 3.50, 4.00, 5.25, 6.50, 4x6, 6x9, etc... So, go ahead and take your measurement across the widest part(s) of the opening. This number will be very close to one of the common speaker sizes listed above.

There are also some charts available online (www.crutchfield.com) that list the sizes of speakers in various cars, but I doubt your scout would be on these lists b/c it's kind of obscure!

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You could drive the Scout to an audio store,and have them check out what speakers will fit /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Okay the holes are rather odd shaped, and I got 7X9.... is this a size or what??

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a cut out for a 6x9. Either the person that cut the whole made it a little too big or you didn't get it quite right.

Go pick you out a set of 6x9 speakers and mount them in the hole. It should fit and look fine. There may be a small gap on the sides of the speaker but should be ok.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Alright cool.. I'll pick some up when I get my CD player... My brother hooked me up with a nice 12" sub in a box for free, so I just gotta find an amp and I'll have a nice system going /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

i have an amp for you if you need either urban audio or profile both 600watt

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

How much ya asking?? I was gonna get one at a pawn shop for $30-$50 so if you can beat that I'll take it... PM me