Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

measuring the driveshaft....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Mar 22, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

How do you measure the drivesahft, ive talked to jess a few times on CK5 but i didnt quite understand...i know, im stupid..
    do you measure like this (green lines--front of output shaft to middle u_joint)? Does it matter if its straight or at the angle? Or are there diff spots to measure from?

[​IMG]

2. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I always leardned to measure the driveshaft from joint centerline to joint centerline. But I have heard of other ways depending on the shop/manufacturer. I'd say go

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

If you are having a new one made or lengthened, on a slip yoke you measure from the end of the output shaft to the front face of the yoke. On a fixed yoke, measure from yoke face to yoke face.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

by end do you mean front of?? trhats what is confusing!
    Do i measure the front end or rear end of the output shaft? all the way to the PINION yoke right?

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I assume youre measuring for a rear shaft since youre asking about a slip yoke measurement. Measure for the very end of the shaft sticking out of the t-case,(point closest to the rear of the truck) to the face of the yoke(where the bolt actually goes into the yoke). The measurement needs to be taken from the truck, not the driveshaft.

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

by yoke you mean pinion yoke?

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yes, the pinion yoke. Where the u-joint bolts to the rear end. I know this is kinda confusing, if I had a pic of under my truck, Id show ya. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif