Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Meat Grinders

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Nov 21, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

So my one buddy is always telling me how I should just process my own deer.
    Since the price keeps going up (going rate around here is $80-$110), I decided to take him up on it. So he brings over all his stuff. Included in the lot is his meat grinder.
    I'm looking at this thing, and he tells me it probably needs new blades. "Yeah, go to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, they'll have some blades," he tells me.
    I'm like, dude, that is one heck of a piece of cast iron there, bigger than my Dana 44 Knuckles.
    So I go poking for blades today, his grinder was manufactured in 1897. eBay ones are advertised as "Vintage", "Antinque", "Great display piece". And they certainly don't carry any parts for a 1897 grinder at any sporting goods store around here.
    I"m like, really, you use this thing? All the time he says.
    Turns out the revolutionary design of this model was supposed to be the "Self Sharpening" blades. So there are no replacment blades to be had.
    So I'll just try to sharpen the blades by hand a bit, but I'm more concerned about it being cast iron. It's coated with something, probably some other heavy metal, there's no rust, and it's clean, but am I gonna poisen my meat with this thing?

Here's the same grinder:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-VINTAGE-UNI...ryZ14903QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Don't let the pictures throw you, this thing is the size of my torso.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yer just braggin about gettin one...Focker...:p:

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

"but I'm more concerned about it being cast iron"

You've never seen cast iron skillets?

4. 73k5blazer

Yeah, we have a set. Use em all the time, I think they are best pans we got. Didn't think about that.
    Those are seasoned (or are supposed to be), I re-season mine every 6 months or so.
    This is like laying your meat out on your D44 knuckle before it rusted..
    It's been around for 100 years being used, I guess I'm no one to worry about it.
    I'm going out there now to finish the job....with my hand sharpened blades.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have one similar to that one. It was my grandmothers. I still use it once in a while. I also have an electric grinder. The old cast iron one works good tho. As long as its clean dont worry about it poisoning you. A little iron in your meat is good for the blood.:D Try it before you bother sharpening it. Meat grinders dont have to be all that sharp. cut the meat into strips they feed better than chunks.
    I cut up and process all my game. deer, elk, antelope ect that i kill, its fun. I make burger, sauasage, salami.
    hint: If you add about 1/4 ground pork or ground sausage to your deer burger it will make fantastic burgers. YUM.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

7. 73k5blazer

Well, I wouldn't call this fun. It's a friggen mess is what it is. I feel like I'm in the basement of the house from Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    It's not so bad though. Sharp knives help a lot. And some beer.

8. 73k5blazer

We have one of those, I didn't know they made a grinder attachment.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh yeah dood they make all kids of attachments for them they are badass I wish we had one....

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I never was into ground venison. I always just cut it into steaks and stew/chili meat. I always cleaned and butchered my own, never could see paying for something that only took like an hour and a half to do.
    Damn now I want some backstraps and eggs.

12. 73k5blazer

An hour and half??????
    I've spent like 6 so far, and I'm only half done.
    3 tonight and 3 last night. Plus shopping for grinder blades, freezer paper, knife sharpeners....etc..
    This is my first one, so I know I'm slow, there's no way you could do in 1.5 hours, without wasting alot. I'm getting everything down to the bone. I think I'm getting alot more than a 'deer processor' would get, and I'm individually wrapping, because that's the way I like it.
    after 6 hours, I've got him skinned, front shoulders and backstraps done.
    Still got the hind quarters to go, and the neck if I want it. And all the grinding to do.
    I'm done for tonight, 3 hours is enough for me. I left the garage unheated again and it's like 28 out, my hands are bricks in the cold....especially with a beer bottle in your hand.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah an hour and a half, but Im sure I have done well over a hundred of them. I once skinned a deer with a lid from a tin can because I couldn't find my knife, it worked pretty good.

14. 73k5blazer

Well come on over, I'm struggling here!

15. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

yea, a buddy of mine can do one in 1.5 hours also. I couldn't because I've never cleaned one either.

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

*hint hint* Use a flexible filet knife *hint hint*

17. 73k5blazer

18. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

my best friend is a butcher and i have seen him kill a cow and have it quartered in 45 minutes so i would say 1 1/2 hours is easily doable with a deer

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Myself and my brother and cousin killed six good sized bucks one morning (all legal). My uncle butchered them all up and did them all in like 6 hours. Now he was fast. We always took him on our hunting trips cause he could cook and dress out a deer like no ones business. He earned the name "camp b!tch" but never liked it..............

20. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

this is the butcher shops busy season and they work 6 10-14 hour days and all i can say is that it is a job for a special person. i have seen them butcher everything from cows and pigs to bears and ostrich. but to get back on subject i wouldn't worry about the cast iron meat grinder just clean it real well first.