Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mech clutch linkage question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Nov 13, 2005.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if i have to live with the mech clutch linkage for now whats the best setup for good pedel and function. also i have a body lift. thanks. this will be on the winter beeter truck.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  2. sweetk30

come on now no one has a coment on this stuff. all the stick shifters on hear. what the ?

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

My vote is for Centerforce Dual Friction

I had this on my hydro setup and it worked great. Can still feather it. Its suppose to give a light feeling on the pedal because of the weights but I never tried it on a mech setup.

4. sweetk30

thanks for all the help guys. but please read again. i have good clutch. i want info on linkage stuff. thanks.

5. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Linkage

I just did a linkage fab on my 1980 fullsize. The holes in the bell crank, and upper pedal shaft were badly worn and ovaled out. The push rod was scaloped out on both ends. And, the pedal shaft was completely worn and the sleave ovaled at the attachment point (behind the instrument cluster) so that the clutch pedal was pulled over to the left by the return spring and would not return up. I went to a pick and pull yard and found an acceptable pedal upper link with good sleave and fiber inserts. I used a threaded rod and heim joints to attach at the upper point and to the bellcrank below the floor. You must bend the rod same as the original, and thread heim joints using lock nuts. If you have a body lift, just fab it a little longer. As far as the bell crank to throwout bearing fork linkage, you can do the same if needed. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

108_0846.JPG

108_0843.JPG

6. sweetk30

WOW BIG PIC !

thanks for the info. looks great.

7. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Well, its a BIG TRUCK

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I don't know how much fabbing you want to do, BUT my suggestion. International used a cable clutch setup for years. No binding with flex, no linkage to adjust. I had 3 Binders and never had any problems with any of them. If I ever need to replace the linkage on my K5, its getting the Binder set up, just my 2 cents.

9. sweetk30

good idea . my friend has a old 4 speed 3/4 ton ih in the feild.

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Why don't you convert to hydro? Cost? I just sold my setup for $100. Probably get it cheaper at a salvage yard or a part out.

PS- You never mentioned you had a good clutch. You just asked for the best setup. By "setup" I thought you meant complete clutch setup. :p:

11. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

x2 , I got the complete pedal assembly , fluid resivor , used mastercylinder and bought a new slave cyl and I was only into it for $75 cash . I did make a bracket out of 1/4" plate for the slave cyl that bolt's to the bell housing , 2 bolt's thru the engineblock and the use the hole on the side of the block . I got the Idea off PBB . I had the old style linkage but I just figured it was apart so do it right the first time . I didn't know about the IH stuff . I may look into IF it's better than the hydro .

12. sweetk30

most if not all of the good yards hear are all out of the 73-87-91 stuff. and if thay do get one it most of the time goes to crusher not the yard and if yard is cleaned in a day or 2.

and in my origanal question i did say linkage. i dont mean to be a hard a$$ . just wanted some good info. we all miss things from time to time. i only edited the title to say linkage in the main page.

but thanks for all the good info.