Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mech linkage issues, AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Nov 20, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My problem with my clutch linkage continues. I don't know if this frame is tweaked or what, but the Z bar will not stay engaged with the pivot ball. It's like the pivot ball is too short or something. Everything else works fine...the rod that goes from the Z bar to the fork appears to be traveling in the correct path to release the clutch.

My dad wants me to take my truck to my mom's house which is a 60 mile trip. It has to be done soon because they're putting an addition on this house and I need my truck out of the driveway so that the materials can come.

I'm just so frustrated with this setup. Why should I have to re-engineer a setup when it came STOCK on our trucks. For years, this setup worked fine. Why can't I get it to work on my truck?

If I mounted the plate that holds the Z bar inboard about 1" or so, I'd probably get enough engagement of the ball to keep it from popping apart all the time.

Either way, I am totally fed up with messing with it and now my dad is going to be pissed that I can't get my truck to my moms. Can ANYONE explain to me what I can do? Do they make longer pivot balls that will thread into this bellhousing, maybe from another application?

I love my 4 speed and would never go back to an automatic, but this clutch linkage really has me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Re: Mech linkage issues, AGAIN (someone help me, i am really stumped this time)

Not an answer for your question, but it might be a good time to swap to a hydro clutch.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Maybe take a look at the motor and t-case mounts, if one or more is bad the assembly could move over some. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The Z bar has a pivot ball on each side, you might try putting *one* flat washer on each one to space them closer to each other (about 1/8" total). I would not try more than one washer though as neither ball has a lot of threads to work with. You might also look at the bushings in the Z bar to see if they need replacing.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you either have a broken motor mount, or tranny case mount. Most likely a motor mount. Does the fan hit the shroud at anytime? Hold your brakes and put tranny in reverse, start to let out the clutch do you get a lot of movement in the shifter from side to side?

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

go make that guy a offer for his 86 c10, his family dosnt want him to drive it anymore, and the frame is broke, and it has a hydro clutch setup, so go make him a offer, he needs to get rid of it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Come down here to Central Illinois and buy my tranny /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's got the complete hydro setup /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know, I know, I already have a hydro setup on the way. I can't take my transmission out in my dad's driveway to do the swap. I've got to get it together so I can drive it.

I would really like to know why this doesn't work. Please guys, I'm desperate on this, I want to know how to fix this correctly. I am sick and tired of this setup.

I don't need 1/8. I need 1/2" or more...and I don't know why.

I don't need a hydro setup....I'm already getting one. I just need to figure out how to make this thing work for one 60 mile trip and it's done. I would like it to work correctly so I can continue to use it. I can hack it together, but I really want it to work correctly.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe take a look at the motor and t-case mounts, if one or more is bad the assembly could move over some. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Both motor mounts are brand new rubber units. The trans mount is a brand new poly. I *wish* those were the problem, but they're not. They're all new.

I've had this issue since I put the 4 speed in as well...and that's with two different engines.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I got it to go on the ball enough that I can drive it, but this setup is really gay. I don't know why it won't get enough bite into the Z bar, but I'm just gonna ditch this setup anyway.

Either way, I'm frustrated that I can't make it work correctly. This setup was used in tons of trucks for many years. It should work fine, but it won't...and the fact that I cannot make it work correctly really makes me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

mine works /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Good luck, Timmy....and btw, why not move it to a friends house or something for now?