Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mech oil gauge hose

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

i read an older post and read something about using copper line, i think (can't get post to come up again), instead of what comes with the mechanical gauge. i have to get some longer line, what came with it was crimped at one point and said not to use past any crimped points.... so i cut that off, figuring i was mainly testing to see if i had bigger problems or not. So, it seemed to read out 40 psi, and at 35 psi while in reverse (checked this cause it went from 15 psi to 0 psi with the electrical gauge). So i'm hoping its ok, the pressure seemed stable at its normal range. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now, i actually want to install the gauge inside so i can monitor it while driving. just want to know if the hose in a universal mechanical gauge hose kit is good enough or if i should get something else? Also, would any of the other lines, if there are any, require a tubing bender?

thanks,
    matt

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

the copper lines need a tubing bender to keep from kinking.if your not bending it too sharp,you could get by with doing it by hand.whenever i use the nylon line,i slip it inside a piece of vacumn tube(lube it up first).the vacumn tube protects it from heat and sharp objects,and keeps it from kinking.

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you could get by with doing it by hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard that before from a lazy guy at CAP who didn't want to bend a new power steering line to match the 90 degree angle my old line had made. now i have a stupid metal line making a huge half circle shape (courtesy of my smallest pulley, only thing around that woulnt kink it) running parallel with the frame and a hose in an s-shape over the frame... had to get done that day, was running out of light, and no tubing bender. steering works fine, but line is in the way if i ever climb under the hood!! like today /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif when installing the mech. oil pressure gauge.

That vacuum hose you mentioned, can i get that at any parts store and cut to length? and what do i lubricate the nylon hose with?

thanks,
    matt

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you should be able to get some vac line at a parts or hardware store. Basically just need some kind of tubing to slip over the oil line. Use oil or something of the type to lude it with.

5. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

thanks. do you know what the inner diameter of the vacuum hose should be to fit the mech. gauge hose line?

thanks,
    matt

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

where are you taping into your oil pressure in your block, i have a oil pressure gauge, im not sure where to tap into, and i still wanna keep my original oil pressure sender dummy light thing, is there a plug in the far back side of the chevy 350 block? behind the intake manifold? thats where i think i seen one put. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

On my 85 305, its on the driverside. Back behind the distributor, is a fitting that comes out. Instead of being a T fitting like the actual shape of the T where the top is a straight line. The two top parts of the T made a 90 degree angle. The one with the bell shaped part connected is what i disconnected to tap into the oil pressure and replaced with the hose for the mechanical gauge.

matt