Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mech speedo question kinda important

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Sep 4, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

so i got to swap the mech. housing onto the VSS t-case i got, every thing would have worked, but my mech. housing was cracked real bad.
    so now i have to use the VSS stuff on my rig, leaving me with out a speedo.

so my question is, will that jack my stuff up? dose the computer need a input from the speedo to work right? worst case i loose my cruise control :D ?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think the vss has input to TCC lockup and you might lose a little fuel economy :haha: . You will also prolly get a code for no VSS signal but the engine should still run.

Ira

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

TCC Lockup and some fuel issues. The PCM uses VSS to determine decel and accel situations, so it uses it to determine how it should be operating the engine. It is more important you think. I forget what exactly the different modes do, but I know you will most likely notice it running worse than before.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've got a VSS t-case setup, run the '90-91 speedometer and DRAC, and be done with the pesky cable anyways. :)

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ok so there is some VSS module on the spedo?
    my truck has a Mech speedo now, not VSS, i just have a VSS case in there now

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you have VSS, its just in the speedo assembly not at the tcase.

7. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

PM'd You.

8. dyeager535

VSS bolts to the speedo '89-down.

'90-91 uses the VSS on the case and electronic speedometer, and IMO it's a better setup. Easy enough to do if you have the t-case with VSS, that's the most difficult part, swap a case just to get rid of the speedo cable. :)

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

so what all would i need to make the VSS work?
    If anyone knows of a 241 housing that has a Mech speedo i would very much appreciate the tail housing off it.

to me it just seems like allot less work just to get a tail shaft housing that i need, instead of hunting through junk yards to find all the vss stuff i need

10. dyeager535

Need a '90-91 cluster, do a bit of rewiring on the cluster connector (GMsimplified the printed circuit which is an improvement) need a DRAC from just about anything, Astro's being the most common donor I've found, the wiring connector for the VSS, which is the same on Astro's as well, and wiring itself. Again, Astro's being the perfect donor.

Probably total cost would be $50-75, cluster being most expensive. If you can find it from someone you know, probably less, they are $50 out of the wrecking yards here.

Besides getting rid of the cable drive speedometer and having a better printed circuit, you'll be able to adapt the speedometer for tire or gear changes with the DRAC. :) THAT is a huge benefit over cable drive.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ok im dum
    whats DRAC?
    as far as the speedo goes i know im 8 mph slow, so i know how fast i am going , so it really isen't a big deal to me

12. dyeager535

DRAC is the piece that interprets the signal from the VSS on the case and feeds everything that needs a speed signal. (cruise, speedo, ECM, ABS)