Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mech to hydro clutch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jul 15, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The K20 I just picked up has a mechanical clutch for the 465. This sucker is work! How difficult would it be to swap in a hydraulic clutch vs. the existing mechanical clutch? Would it be worth it? (I gotta think yes)

thoughts?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

First off...Yes, it is worth it....and no it is not too much work...You need the slave and master cylinders, new shift fork and TO bearing...I thing Advanceadapters has a kit to run a slave cylinder on a mechanical clutch bellhousing...if not, you need the hydro bellhousing too...I say go for it dude...your left leg will thank you...

Chris

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

And you'll need the resivour (sp?) for the master as well. I just went to the local yard, and yanked one off the first truck I found with a std. tranny for $5.

Only buy the GM master!!! Otherwise you'll end up with an adjustable rod for the thing, which I've heard bad things about. My GM master clipped right on to the pedal assembly with ZERO questions or adjustment.

My .02 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am almost ready to swap in a 465 to my blazer here in a bit. i was wondering if i just buy a clutch pedal from sumit, stand alone race styly with its own resivior, then buy the hydraulic actuating cyl and the addaptor for the bellhousing would that also work?
    i am not sure i want to put the mech version in or not...
    grant

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have the 465 in my 84 Blazer and after driving my buddy's 91 short bed with the 5 speed and hydraulic clutch I WANT ONE! My left leg will love me for it and I am told I drive much better with it. If anyone does this please post and let me know about it!

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

search

this has been covereed in depth on this site
    Krazie87k5 did it when he converted to manual tranny
    and I think Topoff (I apologize if I got that wrong) has posts on doing it to the older style cab using all chev parts

my webshots album has the parts list and diagram

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I converted my auto to a manual for about a year and I welded a small piece of steel to the firewall and mounted the master cylinder to that. Other than that, it was a bolt in.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

so basicaly you made a stand alone pedal then? am i correct in ass-u-me:ing this?
    and is there not an addaptor that makes a mech linkage bellhousing to a hyd bellhousing?
    grant

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Well no, The pedal bolted in. My tub is an '82 and the firewall changes some to accomadate the Hydraulic clutch. I just cut out the bad and put a piece of flatmetal in there so I had something to work with.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The "adjustable" one is the one I have.

It's kind of neat if you like playing around with how and when the clutch engages, along with pedal height, but other than that, yes, stock type would be the way to go if it was a reasonable price

Whichever is cheaper is the route I'd go. You only change where the pedal sits and how much throw you get with the adjustable, there isn't any internal problem with it I've found...of course, apparently some of the stock lines to the slave cylinder have restrictors built into them that you can drill out, that prevent "speed" shifting due to slowing down the fluid flow.

SM465 and speed shifting really don't go well together, but I know they did this on some of the Camaro applications.