Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanic just suggested I remove raised steering arm to fix bump steer.WTF?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Have a 4" lift, with raised steering arm. Thot that when a lift was done, it SHOULD have a raised steering arm. Mechanic just told me that the geometry would be better and would help solve bump steer if I replaced the raised one with stock.

Anybody know if this is right?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

He most likely doesnt work on lifted trucks very much and didnt know what he was talking about. Leave the raised arm on to keep that drag link as close to horizontal as possible.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

shoot him in the friggen face with a bazooka, then take his money. cus that is what he is trying to do to you. then spend his money on a new stabilizer. if you got 36's or bigger for meats buy a double stabalizer.
    Grant

4. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

Definatly keep your raised steering arm. He doesn't know what he is talking about. You wouldn't want to drive it without the raised arm. I have not fun.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys.

So, I have a new steering stabilizer, ORD steering box brace, new tie rods and drag link, welded frame by steering box, ORD Sway Bar Disconnect, new front tires (35" BFG AT's). I did a search and from what I found only real solution is hydro something (haven't the faintest idea what it is.

It may well be that there isn't anything more that can be done. I don't even know if minor bump steer is anything to even bother with...

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The rule is supposably to keep the drag link as straight as possible, but I have seen and heard of numerous people using their draglinks at a slight angle and get less bump steer. I suppose it depends on your truck and probably has a bit to do with shims/caster up front as well. I would try the arm and see how it is.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Sounds like hes building a rig and needs an arm.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LOL! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

when you say you have bumpsteer, are you talking, you hit little bumps and your stering wheel jerks? i mean if it isnt dangerous i wouldnt worry about it, not worth the headache to fix it, put your worries into something else......

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish I knew how you guys even notice the bumpsteer. I know it's there but I have seriously never noticed.

I would NEVER drive a vehicle without the proper steering correction for a lift though. It won't turn all the way to the right and it's highly dangerous.

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No, I don't think it's bad at all, it's really subtle to me. I have to make small but very frequent adjustments in steering, it reminds me of driving my dad's 1976 ford station wagon. Ya know, like when power steering wheels have some play so you are constantly making small adjustments in the wheel. They just made it sound like it should be fixed. I'd love to have one less thing to have to do to this truck.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

drag link as close to horizontal as possible

<hr></blockquote>

this does nothing to reduce or prevent bumpsteer.
    if you have lift springs, it will ensure that on compression your truck will dart towards oncoming traffic though, is that what you want?

to eliminate bump steer on leaf springs i think you are forced to eliminate the frame mounted steering box.

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

On my Jimmy when you hit a good bump in the road the steering wheel jerks 90 degrees to the left. Up front it has 4" TC ez-ride springs, 4" steering arm, ORD swaybar disconnects, Rancho dual stabilizer and all parts are new. It doesnt bother me any more but it did at first.

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mine doesn't do that at all. That would bother me.

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

But the steering arm being level will let you still turn (some) when you are in bump or droop on the driver side.
    ie. good for the slow stuff not for the fast stuff.

16. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Dont worry about it then. I believe all lifted trucks have a little bumpsteer, unless your springs are too stiff to compress.

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your problem is not bump steer but play in the steering. I can't tell you where without looking...it could be just about anywere.

Sometimes a 4" raised steering arm is too much for a 4" lift...but if you arn't fealing any of the stuff that the guys above are talking about (truck darting/wheel turning when you hit a bump) it isn't worth the money to switch to a 2.5" raised steering arm.

18. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Have you done new ball-joints? I noticed BIG improvement after I did mine. Jack the front upp and grab the wheel top and bottom and look for any play in the joints. Mine had just enough for me to feel it go clunk-clunk and it had big impact on the way the truck steered.

19. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

.....also run the tire prezure around 35 for street driving as bounching rubber also contributes to the feeling.

20. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you want to fix the bump steer do crossover steering and it will drive like a car. Bump steer will be gone. I have hydro on mine now with 38's, but with 35's I could drive it with one finger at 80 mph.