Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanical 6.5 Opinions and Performance parts

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by sled_dog, May 29, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My dad just told me about a like 1990 6.5 Pickup for sale, he said its been there a long time so I want to go take a look see if I can get it cheap. If I go what should I look for? Anything I can tell thats wrong with them? He said its fairly high mileage(guessing over 150k he means). Transmission of course I will look at. How about performance parts for the 6.5er? I couldn't drive a stock 6.5 I would take way too much crap from my friends. I have 4 friends that drive diesels, 1 2000 Powerstroke, 1 97 Powerstroke, 1 12V cummins, and 1 24V Cummins. I wouldn't consider wanting to beat the crap out of them just keep up. And stacks are a must /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, Diesel pickups and stacks just go together to me.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

seems that up till 93 was 6.2 huh?

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

go here: http://www.thedieselpage.com/
    and here: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

just a couple of good places to start. I like the 6.2 and the 6.5. I think they are durable and economic. They can be made to run with the later, more powerful diesels - but - it has to be done correctly (of course), and like any pursuit of power - it costs money.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its a 6.2 with 180k miles, I know they will last but I just don't like 6.2s.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    its a 6.2 with 180k miles, I know they will last but I just don't like 6.2s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I would suggest that you don't buy it. It's not a Cummins or a Duramax that's for sure.