Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mechanical fuel injection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Jun 19, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever used or using a mechanical fuel injection system on there blazer. talking about fuel systems today and somebody mentioned them. I know its old fashioned but just trying to learn some more about it. who knows maybe ill put one on. I hate wires so i definatley wouldnt want efi. guess ill stick with the q jet. I know corvettes used one from 57 (or so) by rochester till they changed. mainly i was just bored.

thanks

nathan

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah the Corvette ones were kind of cool, but newer injection is much more "adaptable". I believe some reading I did on the mech. injection mentioned that for one thing, altitude changes worsened driveability.

Wires are nothing to be afraid of, without them, your truck wouldn't run.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I decided against the mechanical with a few hours of searching and prices. 5,000 up!!! i found this. diy I figured id give that to my dad. hes an electrical engineer and always looking for projects to do. guess i can deal with a few wires to make her run better.

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Priest

Priest Registered Member

There are several car companies that tried it. Chevrolet and Volkswagon are the most prominent but neither one worked really well. Modern mechanical injection systems are designed with race cars in mind (mainly sprint cars and drag cars) and do not lend themselves to street applications. You can probably get something like an enderle 8 port to actually idle but your cylinders are going to load up bad.

Don't be afraid of wires.. most modern fuel infection systems only actually require less than 6 wires to run.

5. dyeager535

Once you actually get an EFI wiring harness, and the corresponding service manual, you will see how "simple" the wiring really is.

You gotta figure, each component/sensor has between 1-7 or so wires going to it, so once you figure out which wires are doing what, and which ones are spliced together, you realize there *really* isn't that much to deal with. I mean, there are a lot of wires compared to non-EFI systems, but they all make sense when you figure in that they just go to sensors.

For instance, all the wiring connectors are "foolproof" (only fit one sensor) on stock applications, so thats one less thing you have to worry about.

It seemed like a lot of garbage to me before I purchased the system, but after messing around with it for this long, I can tell which connector goes to which component. Really, the only reason there are so many wires is because almost all of the sensors use multiple wires, not because there are so many "extra" components.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have mechanical port injection on my Jimmy. One wire makes it run...

Of course it's a 6.2 diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

dorian what did your asystem come out of? Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I may give it a try.

Trustyk5

I wish i could figure out how to make a diesel system work with gas, but i couldnt. me and the MK's (mechanics in the coast guard) sat around and tried to figure it out. then decided it wasnt worth the trouble.

Thanks for the input

nathan

8. dyeager535

Basically my system is from an '88 camaro.

The earlier you can go the "easier" it will be, the intake for sure, but the wiring may have been a bit closer to the trucks for say the '85/86 model years on the Camaro's. None of it is tough, but there is little stuff, like fuel pump feed through the fuse panel, alternator setup different, etc. Nothing huge though.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

cool thanks for the info. i hadnt thought about it going that far back. i will have to look up years on all that stuff.

thanks again

nathan