Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanical Fuel pump??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Do mechanical fuel pumps get weak in time? I guess the real question is do the loose fuel pressure in time or are thease things eaither working or not and no inbetween??
    Thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My experience has been that they're binary devices. They either work or they don't. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I suppose that if you're running an exotic racing pump to provide bodacious amounts of fuel that it might lose some effectiveness over time, but a stocker will usually pump until the diaphragm ruptures, at which time you'll notice fuel leaking from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump.

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

As far as I know they don't loose pressure over time, or if they do, nothing noticable. It's not a bad idea to replace the mechanical pump every few years in my opinion, as they get older the diaphram gets hard and can tear, causing gas to go up and inside the engine through the pumps pushrod hole, mixing with the oil. My neighbor found this out the hard way on his racing engine when it locked up from a mechanic fuel pump that filled his crankcase with gas.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys! Great stuff!!
    Mine has been in there for 9yrs now so I will swap it out on Dad's Day!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I'm sure it could use a freash one by now! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    Thanks