Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanical help needed **Problem Solved**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Post deleted by Muddytazz

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Mechanical help needed

The part of the stroke is determined by cam position. Without the cam in the motor there is only TDC and BDC in any of the cylinders. If you installed the cam in the motor as you described when #1 was at TDC it should be fine. If it's all together try removing the dist and turning it 180 degrees and drop it back in. Probably the number one reason for any small block to not fire up after a cam swap is the dist being 180 out. I've done that more times than I care to admit./forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Rene

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

this is in my DD...drove it over to my dads barn last night, only thing i did was replace timing chain and gears....same cam, didn't remove dist.

4. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

ON the cam spocket,the timing mark should be at the 6 o clock(down)and the crank spocket should be at 12 o clock (up) they should be face to face.
    not both at 12 o clock

have a look at this photo (step 2)

5. tRustyK5

That pic has it set for #1 TDC...it makes lining up the marks easy, but they don't tell you that's the exhaust stroke. One more revolution puts #1 at TDC on the compression stroke and the cam 'dot' at 12 o'clock.

Jeff never had the distributor or cam out, he just replaced the timing set. I talked to him on the phone and he is not getting any spark for some reason.

rene

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well after talking with rene on the phone last night, we got some ideas going...grabbed my voltmeter and did some checking on the ingnition module, coil, condenser, and just about every wire that came through the firewall was getting the proper amount of juice. So I went ahead and pulled the front stuff off again to get to the timing chain to double check the cam and crank gears for proper alignment and that turned out to be good. Put that all back together and started scratching my head, drank a beer and thought, what about the plugs (cause i wasn't getting spark anymore after installing new timing set) were pretty clean, but took a small fine wire brush and brushed each one a couple times, then I checked the gap..45..no biggie, just a tiny bit wide so i gapped them down a bit to 35, put em back in. Drank another beer, pumped the throttle linkage a couple times, went to hit the key and the ole girl fired right up. Only thing I can figure is that with the new timing set, the 45 gap was to much.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Anyone ever experience anything like that?

8. tRustyK5

Glad ya got it up and running again...weird fix though/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Rene