Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanical linkage isn't so bad when it's correct....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 8, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mechanical linkage isn\'t so bad when it\'s correct....

Two years ago I got the parts to swap my truck over to a 4 speed before hardly anyone had done it here (a few guys, but not many had done it yet). The guy at the junkyard just gave me the pedals and the linkage without the bracket that held them and told me that was enough.

Last year when I did my swap in July, I had to cut part of my automatic pedal bracket to make it work with a sawzall and I used the long bolt from the 4 speed setup and put my clutch pedal in. It was a total disaster, my pedal wobbled like crazy, sometimes my clutch wouldn't relese all the way...it just totally pissed me off.

So, the other day my friend got an '82 K20 for $300 that he only wanted the axles from and he cut it up and I asked him for the clutch pedals. Not only did he give me the whole bracket and the whole linkage, he gave me the bolt in trans tunnel too (I'll have to swap that in one day)

So I took the time to swap that stuff in today, and remove a bunch of relays and electronic looking boxes that I am assuming belong to the cruse control crap that is no longer in my truck.

DAMN! What a difference! I don't think I'm even going to bother swapping my truck to hydro clutch now. My mechanical linkage works perfect now. I am so happy I just can't believe it. My truck has a rusty oil pan on it that I've got to repair here pretty soon but other than that it's finally coming together. The main point of this post is that I can't believe how much happier I am with this whole setup now that it works correctly.

To anyone that doesn't know, that bracket bolts to the spot in the cab that holds the steering column up and four of the bolts that hold that bracket go through the firewall and are bolted to the brake booster. Two other bolts hold the brake booster on for a total of 6 bolts to remove the booster from the cab. I just moved it off to the side and set it on the fender while I swapped the bracket in, bolted it all up, then put the steering column back in and hooked up the bar that goes from the Z bar to the pedal assembly. Basically, I re-installed my clutch linkage except I didn't have to mess with the Z bar or cut the whole in the floor because that was already done once.

4 speed swaps? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Piece of cake now. Just don't half ass it, you'll hate the way your pedal works. I'm so much happier with my setup now. My nice diaphram cluch has more than "on" and "off" now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also secured my inner fenders to the cab closer to the bottom with 3/8" grade 5 bolts. I definitely recommend anyone that is new to fender cutting to go ahead and do this. My inners are now secured out of the way all the way back to the cab so basically my tires would hit the cab if they end up hitting the inners. If you do this and your stuff ends up rubbing the inner, only moving your axle forward can help you then. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What a day! I installed a new 3 core radiator that I got from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for $120 (well you guys can get it for $150 without the employee discount, still not a bad deal at all!!) When I fix my oil leak and get my 1 tons installed and sell what's left of my K30 and get my winch I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store.

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Re: Mechanical linkage isn\'t so bad when it\'s correct....

why didnt you just swap in an automatic? much better for wheeling.

mike

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

or not

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

very nice, ill have to come up there one day again with you to see how it all turned out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> It's all about personal preference. I wouldn't trade my 4 speed for a slushbox in a million years. </font>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Until it pukes its fluid all over the trail, overheats, slips until it destroys itself, and I have to get the tractor and tow it home. Or until I simply want to go slower than 1600 RPM in 2:1 low will allow me to (that's where having a 6.55:1 low gear comes in).

I have both setups...I've got a 400/205 in the backyard and a 465/205 in my truck. I can swap mine back and forth every day if I want. I am much happier with my 4 speed.

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Tim, why not put a 700r4 in there? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I hear they are strong as hell and better for wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Isn't that what I pulled out?

9. bigblock44k5

it was a joke

10. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I had a mechanical clutch linkage in my truck, and it always worked fine, but some of the rod ends and pin holes were pretty worn, so sometimes the clutch pedal would rattle a little. I liked it though, and it never let me down. From what I've read on this sight, seems some guys really twist the frame/cab alignment, and sometimes the z-bar falls off its pivot points, or something else breaks. Thats why everyone pushes for the hydro clutch setup (and its a little easier push effort).

I did swap in a hydro clutch setup (along with a new clutch/pressure plate) when I installed my big block. It is easier to push the pedal in, but it seems to release a lot higher than the mechanical one did, but I don't think it's a problem. So far, I like it, and I think it makes my rig more reliable. Anyway, sounds like you're making progress!

11. bigblock44k5

MADMIKE, I havent delt to much with the hydro setups these guys are using, but I know most hydro setups are adjustable from the rod in between the clutch and master cylinder.
    (Not trying to hyjack)

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    From what I've read on this sight, seems some guys really twist the frame/cab alignment, and sometimes the z-bar falls off its pivot points, or something else breaks

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had my linkage fall apart when the truck was all crossed up...I've also busted the pivot ball off the bell housing. The pivot ball was fatigued from too many years of running Borg &amp; Beck clutches though, but still that wouldn't happen with hydro clutch.

My mechanical works damn decent now too, but I do have a collection of hydro parts waiting to go in one day. All I really need is the bell.

Rene

13. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

hey tim, whats the part # on that radiator?

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Until it pukes its fluid all over the trail, overheats, slips until it destroys itself, and I have to get the tractor and tow it home. Or until I simply want to go slower than 1600 RPM in 2:1 low will allow me to (that's where having a 6.55:1 low gear comes in).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget that a torque convertor at low rpms doubles(and some say triples)multiplication on overall crawl ratio.

And its not fair to say the auto will be puking fluid all over thre trail and it will leave ya stranded. If it is set-up right, they are just as reliable as a stick. And what ya gonna do when you clutch gets wet? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

next truck i get im planning on it having a automatic transmission, (i.e. th350, th400)

16. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont forget that a torque convertor at low rpms doubles(and some say triples)multiplication on overall crawl ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

So idling in drive, your crawl ratio must be infinite:1 then? Why not run a 5000 rpm stall convertor instead of getting a doubler? Basically if the truck is moving that 'doubling' effect isn't happening anymore

I'd say doubling it is pushing it, and I'd certainly never claim a slush box is more reliable than a stick.

[ QUOTE ]
    And what ya gonna do when you clutch gets wet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing I'd do if my poor brakes got wet...carry on wheeling. Except I won't be worrying about the fragile aluminum case, ripping off a cooling line, clogging the cooler, overheating it and having it barf oil out the filler tube or breaking one of the eleventy billion little voodoo parts inside while I'm trying to wheel.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

17. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

When I installed my hydro clutch setup, I don't recall seeing any threaded rods or means of adjusting the clutch. I guess I automatically assumed that somehow there was no adjustment feature, because the hydraulic aspect took that into account. But I will definitely check the rod that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder and see if that is threaded or not. Good idea, maybe I just missed it!

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Same thing I'd do if my poor brakes got wet...carry on wheeling. Except I won't be worrying about the fragile aluminum case, ripping off a cooling line, clogging the cooler, overheating it and having it barf oil out the filler tube or breaking one of the eleventy billion little voodoo parts inside while I'm trying to wheel.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> *Golf Clap*

We need to start an Official SM465 Fan Club. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene, if you have all the parts other than the Bellhousing, why not just use the conversion kit from Novak so you can use your stock bell?</font>

19. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Rene, if you have all the parts other than the Bellhousing, why not just use the conversion kit from Novak so you can use your stock bell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a link? It's not nearly as high a priority since going to the diaphram clutch, but it's still something I'd like to do. I've been hoping to score a hydro bell for cheap, but they don't come up often...

rene

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status