Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanical or Hydraulic clutch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I've got a decision to make here. I am converting my truck to a 465/205 combo, and I need to know what type of clutch I should go with.

I went to the local wrecking yard today, and found 3 standard tranny trucks. One with a mechanical clutch linkage, and a horribly worn out tranny (300 000 miles or so on it) The shifter wiggles 2 - 3" in ever direction, one with a hydraulic clutch setup, less the master cylinder, and slave cylinder, and a third with a nice tight tranny, but no linkages.

My plan at the moment is to grab the top of the tranny that is nice and tight, to replace my shift forks / shift rail in my tranny (it has great gears, and good syncros, but the shift forks have no coating left)

But I need to know which linkage I should go with. Pulling the mechanical linkage would be quick and easy, but I'm wondering if the hydraulic linkage is really that much better, and worth tearing the engine and tranny out to get the bellhousing and stuff.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

im a firm believer... hydraulic hands down....

I had the mechanical... and boy was it a bear in traffic.. didnt mind much.. but leg would get soar... also once when i went to the gym... i did a heavy leg workout... well that didnt go over well... trying to shift on wobbly legs. hydraulic isnt as good as a car but dayum close...

i say hydraulic :bow:

3. Russell

How much would a new master / slave cylinder cost?

I kinda like the thought of the hydraulic truck too, cause it already has the brake booster and stuff pulled, so getting the pedals out would be a very easy task right now. Only problem is that the brake pedal, and the clutch pedal are both missing their "shoes" for lack of a better term for the pad that slides over the metal, and you push on.

Also, does the hydraulic clutch need any of those springs from under the dash like a mechanical setup needs? Or does the tranny provide that?

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go hydraulic. I love the performanc of my hydraulic setup. As far as the pedal pads, get a cheapo riceburner pedal cover set- the kind with the metal holes in it.... looks fruity but my foot doesn't slip unless it has eight pounds or more of mud on it. I'd guess between 100-150 for the slave/master and hose. No springs... the pedal returns due to pressure.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i bought a slave for $53 from advance auto, my dad bought a master cyl for $55 and a line for $45 from carquest

go hydraulic, its easier to push, and alot better setup than the mechanical.

for the pads, my local carquest has the stock style hanging on the wall for i think $5 each.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dont forget you can try
    www.car-part.com
    you may be able to find one cheap... maybe with the resivour, master and piston all together really cheap....

the one i used for my truck is
    1985 gmc jimmy fullsize...

someone may have it complete and $50-$75 to your door.. you never know...
    good luck

7. Russell

Well, If I don't need any of those big springs, thats enough encouragement for me to go hydraulic. I'll head to the wrecking yard tommorow afternoon loaded with tools, and a floor jack, and go pull that tranny.

I need the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch anyways. Don't worry, I'll buy a new pilot bushing, and throwout bearing before I put it all back together, lol

Now to find an 85+ truck to get the master cylinder, line and slave cylinder from...