Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanical Temperature Gauge Questions???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Jul 1, 2003.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could the Tube that runs from the sending unit on the end to the gauge in side the cab gather heat for the engine compartment causing it to read wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It could, how far doe's it reach? And with tubing running any major length, it will dissipate heat out of the tube. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. RingMaster4x4

well it runs about 3-4 feet right through the middle of the engine compartment about 6 inch above the engine.

4. RingMaster4x4

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm a dis-believer /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My guess is most of the force to move the gauge comes from the larger sensor end of the capilary tube. I would think the (middle) tube temp wouldn't have too much effect unless it was laying across the exhaust manifold or something.
    Test it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Lay an ice cube or heat gun to the tube and see if effects the reading to any degree. Tell us what ya got /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif